Hankook Optimo H727

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Supposedly DTD has the Hankook Optimo H727 in again but I already got mine from TR and installed today. They're nice. Much better than the Dunlop Signature which were very loud and sounded like there was bad wheel bearings. The Hankook's are at least as quiet as any tire we have had. These are for my daughters Mazda3. Not life altering but very nice.

How much did wal mart charge for mounting, balancing, and disposal? Does the 3 have TPMS?

My local Walmart charges about $13 total for mounting, 1 time balancing and disposal for carry in tires. They don't offer lifetime balance for carry in tires anymore.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Supposedly DTD has the Hankook Optimo H727 in again but I already got mine from TR and installed today. They're nice. Much better than the Dunlop Signature which were very loud and sounded like there was bad wheel bearings. The Hankook's are at least as quiet as any tire we have had. These are for my daughters Mazda3. Not life altering but very nice.

How much did wal mart charge for mounting, balancing, and disposal? Does the 3 have TPMS?

No TPMS! Although they do get extra money for TPMS. I don't remember the cost of the TPMS reset but I don't beleive it was a ton of money.

W*M charges $12.00 per tire(my total w/tax-$51.84 for 4 tires) for mounting/1x balancing(static), valve stems and tire disposal. They did a nice job...Cleaning the edge of the wheels(wire wheel) and sealing them with this black liquid tire sealer around the bead. They even torqued the lug bolts proPerly when installing the tires/wheels back on the car. I was pleased to say the least!

This W*M still allows lifetime balancing on carry in tires for $7.50 each(4 @ $30.00) and I was told that I could purchace this at anytime. YMMV

I drove the car in and they put the car on the lift to remove the tires. New tires were in the back seat. Often I just bring in my tires/wheels seperatly(off the car) and have them unmount/remount, balance, v-stems, disposal...Same price!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Discount tire charges $15. Lifetime rotation and balance.

Wal*Mart's price for lifetime balance is $7.50 per tire and when buying this for all 4 tires, free rotation come with it.

W*M charges $12.00 per tire(my total w/tax-$51.84 for 4 tires) for mounting/1x balancing(static), valve stems and tire disposal. They did a nice job...Cleaning the edge of the wheels(wire wheel) and sealing them with this black liquid tire sealer around the bead. They even torqued the lug bolts proPerly when installing the tires/wheels back on the car. I was pleased to say the least!

Here it was $12 + $1.50 ea for disposal. Same price.

Their equipment was in good shape, and they did their job well, but did nothing more. I watched the unmounting/mounting process as the machine was on the outer edge of their closed off space. The mounter explained the patches I saw inside the wheel on the outer side of the bead contact area as where salt had entered, but did not suggest why. I figured those spots were compromised by the clip-on weight pushing on the tire.

They did nothing more than what their process calls for. While the mounter acknowledged the salt-contaminated spots when I asked, he made no effort to clean them apart from brushing one with his thumb to verify what it was. Cleaning was not part of their process.

"Torque lug nuts to spec" is in their process, so they did that.

Overall, I am satisfied, but I do wish they had bothered to remove the salt patches. However, I doubt some other installer in town would do better. My last set of tires was from an independent dealer here in Lexington, their mounter seemed to have trouble using the machine properly and scratched some strips of clear coat from the wheel lips on failed attempts. Perhaps he hadn't applied the mounting lube all the way around the bead.

BearZ,
Were your tires installed at your local W*M?(I'm unclear on this).

My state requires $2.50 per tire for tire disposal when buying tires. W*M only charges this fee when buying tires from them, not on "Carry-In", even though they will take your old tires and dispose of them away while your there for installation. Meaning, you can't just drive in the place with old tires and expect them to disguard them for you! Just wanted to make this clear.

This is my 5th time in W*M for tire installation(carry in) and my experience has been very good to excellent thus far. Can't beat the price.

Last edited:
BearZ,
Were your tires installed at your local W*M?(I'm unclear on this).
Yes, one of my local W*M stores. My first time going to them for any kind of auto service.

My state requires $2.50 per tire for tire disposal when buying tires. W*M only charges this fee when buying tires from them, not on "Carry-In", even though they will take your old tires and dispose of them away while your there for installation. Meaning, you can't just drive in the place with old tires and expect them to disguard them for you! Just wanted to make this clear.
I have no complaints about the disposal fee, they collect it per state law. But yes, they did charge it on my carry-in installation.

This is my 5th time in W*M for tire installation(carry in) and my experience has been very good to excellent thus far. Can't beat the price.
I am satisfied too.

I'm curious to see how fast these new unleaded (steel) wheel weights start rusting all over.

The H727 is on my short list of tires I will put on my wife's Durango if I can't locate, order, or afford the Michelin LTX M/S2's I want.

Also, the H725 Mileage Plus tire is available in a 225/70R14, which would be ideal for my Torino and would save me from having to get 16" wheels ir order to get a good sized tire. They just don't make 14's big anymore, at least not unless I want white letters, or knobby all-terrain or mud&snow truck tires. I know it's not rated as well, but can anything possibly be worse than the recalled Douglases on there now?

IDK if the H727 would be a proper replacement tire for a Durango as would the LTX's but thats your choice. And not for nothing, I like the idea of keeping the Torino original with the factory(I'm assuming)14" wheels/tires or 224-70-14(diam: 26.4") but 235-60-15(diam: 26.1") would be a nice replacement and only 3/10's difference. And there should be plenty of 15" FORD period correct wheels available on Craig's List/ebay or even Ford catalogs should you decide to upgrade. But, you mentioned, not having to get 16"...I'm not sure that I understand why you would need to get 16" for a good size. What would you be considering in a 16"?(should you even consider this move). Im sure that 16" wheels would look great if your Torino was modified/changed all over from stock. Any pictures? I love old Torinos'. Years ago, a buddy of mine had a 70 or 71 CobraJet. I don't quite remember which year it was but IIRC, it had a 429ci

The H724's are working fine so far. As far as the Torino goes, I have CVPI center caps on it now and the only reason I want to move to 16 inch wheels is because it's hard to find good tires for it that can handle the weight of it. 16's look good, I just haven't bought 3 more to make the switch yet. I will be able to get 225/60R16 tires for a long time to come, especially used take-offs from cop cars. I've been to a LOT of tire shops recently looking for used 235/75R15 and the shops simply can't keep them in stock used. But they have STACKS of 225/60R16, some matched sets with nice tread and all. People buy a CVPI or a GMQ and want 20-inch rims. So the 16's get tossed on the stack.

Ah yes! 225-60-16. Easy size to come by. I was even thinking of installing them on my 04 Altima for my winter wheels which are stock 16" that came with 205-65-16. I made the mistake of staying with the stock size 205's. Summer wheels are 17" w/225-55-17.

Ah yes! 225-60-16. Easy size to come by. I was even thinking of installing them on my 04 Altima for my winter wheels which are stock 16" that came with 205-65-16. I made the mistake of staying with the stock size 205's. Summer wheels are 17" w/225-55-17.

This is what the Torino looks like now with the Douglas Xtra-Trac 215/70R14 and the CVPI center caps.

31644664002_large.jpg

This is what one 16" CVPI wheel with the center caps looks like on the left rear. Because as of now, this is my spare tire/wheel until I buy some more.

31644660090_large.jpg

With trim rings it'll look even better. I'll use the ones originally from a 94-01 Dodge Ram (pickup or van) and they looked great on the 16" steel wheel on my old taxicab ('98 CVPI) and I expect them to look as good on this.

Actually, I would expect the narrowed 205's to cut through snow better on winter wheels. It's the wide tire 50/60 aspect ratio Camaros and Mustangs with rear drive that had the most trouble in winter driving. A FWD Altima with 205/65 tires ought to drive like it's on rails (or like it's in ruts, your choice).

Everybody pictures a 2-door thanks to a really tacky 70's TV cop drama show and a poorly done movie tribute, combined with the promotion given by Ford with the replica cars. I don't like 2-door cars. I've owned a few, but I always prefer a sedan, except in the case of 77-85 Olds Delta 88's and similar B/C-bodies. Those look good as coupes and have tons of rear seat room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back