FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here, 5 quarts of Castrol and a filter is usually on sale at one of the parts houses for $30. I pick it up when it's on sale and hold it until I need it.

The stuff always seems to be "on sale" when I don't need it. I am not a fan of "storing" oil for future use. In a garage that gets to 120F in the summer, those 5qt bottles make a MESS!! So I buy when I need. Which usually means, $8.00 p/qt. Not sure if its worth the money or not? Seems this oil should be a good choice for a turbo charged car even in a warm climate or ocassional track use.

Bottom line is this GC stuff worth a try in a Turbo charged 4 banger or not? Yeah Yeah you need to try it, I just don't want to be a guinie pig, so is why I ask. Put it in my Evo or not? regardless of price. I have Mobil 10/30EP in the car now, in the past ran RP XPR 10/40, was considering trying RP 5/30 XPR, Redline 5/30, or this GC 0-30. Should I pass on the "race" oils and give this GC stuff a shot?? Is it that good or not? I know its not a "race" oil and I am not going to do extended drain intervals on the stuff, I just want an oil I can buy at the store and not need to order all the time. But if its not even close to the other 2 I mentioned, then I guess they are worth ordering. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Dude, seriously, stop the drama and use it already. It's a fine oil. I used it in my old modified 1.8T and it did well. You won't know until you try it. If you don't like it, you can always switch to something else. Chances are, you won't be able to tell any difference between it and the boutique stuff you mentioned.

Yes, enough drama.

Two choices. Well three.

1: Use it.

2: Don't use it.

Reams of info on GC here. Could search through the UOA forum too. If after all that, you're not sure, there is.....

3: Ask at an Evo forum.

The 10 part of the 10/30 you're running now only matters when cold. Once at operating temp, it's the second number that matters.

The bottom line is really this: It's your car, so it's your choice. If you're not sure, stay with what you already use.

Last edited:
Didn't realize getting advice was drama. Been to EvoM and they don't think GC is a good oil. Its hit or miss. Amsoil is a site sponsor there so any oil other than Amsoil gets an unfair review.

I have used oils from $4 a qt to $15 a qt I will use what is needed. I dont go on the cheap when I have $$$ invested in my car. I am here, on this site, because people have experience with the oil in which I am inquiring on. To me, that is not drama, that is playing it safe.

There are many "good" oils, and I realize you don't know unless you try. But this site is all about oil not cars, so I figured more insight would be seen by asking the questions. mmmmm guess not. Sorry to bug ya guys.

GC is a great oil for the right applications. It sounds like your intended use may be for track use which is not what it was designed for. I think the frustration from previous members isn't meant to be personal.
1. Street Use - yes
2. Track Use - no

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Didn't realize getting advice was drama. Been to EvoM and they don't think GC is a good oil. Its hit or miss. Amsoil is a site sponsor there so any oil other than Amsoil gets an unfair review.

I have used oils from $4 a qt to $15 a qt I will use what is needed. I dont go on the cheap when I have $$$ invested in my car. I am here, on this site, because people have experience with the oil in which I am inquiring on. To me, that is not drama, that is playing it safe.

There are many "good" oils, and I realize you don't know unless you try. But this site is all about oil not cars, so I figured more insight would be seen by asking the questions. mmmmm guess not. Sorry to bug ya guys.

I guess I just don't understand what you want us to say? If you're expecting us to give you our blessings, it ain't gonna happen. I posted my experiences with it already (both turbo charged and NA engines). Will it destroy your engine? No. Will you like it? Well, only you can answer that.

If you already got feedback from Evo forum and it was negative, then there's your answer. You probably won't get that kind of feedback here as this forum isn't Evo-specific.

Yeah, its tough to get any real response on the Evo Forums, they are very biased. Mind you this is the same community saying to use a 50W oil in my car, Street Driven. Most Evo guys do build track and time attack cars so they always have that "race" mentality, hence the 50W pops up allot. But for "street" guys that have a basic mods and even ocasional Track use, meaning Solo II that I am doing the GC 0-30 should be fine. The HTHS of 3.6 and the vCt @ 100C of 12-13 is pretty darn good, even for a "race" oil. So I think it can be used in a very "broad" sprectum of applications. Ive been contimplating it. I have been running Solo II events for 4 yrs on Mobil 1 EP 10/30 and I have had no issues. I just think the GC may be an "upgrade" to the Mobil 1 EP. Would you guys agree to that??

Hi,
Jeff - If you lived in OZ and wanted to use Castrol products I would be suggesting the following;

On road - Edge Sport 5W-30
On road - track (short duration) - Edge Sport 0W-40
On track (long duration)- Edge Sport 10W-60

That said, you are using a very good product - why not stick with it?

Last edited:
The HTHS of 3.6 and the vCt @ 100C of 12-13 is pretty darn good, even for a "race" oil. So I think it can be used in a very "broad" sprectum of applications. Ive been contimplating it. I have been running Solo II events for 4 yrs on Mobil 1 EP 10/30 and I have had no issues. I just think the GC may be an "upgrade" to the Mobil 1 EP. Would you guys agree to that??

I honestly don't know what Evo's oil requirements are, so it's difficult for me to respond to your questions. Does it require a high HT/HS oil? If so, and if you like Mobil1, you'd do even better with something like M1 HM 10w-40. It has HT/HS of 4.06 and is easily available at Wal-Mart at good price.

But if the engine doesn't benefit from such high HT/HS, then all you're doing is killing the fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The HTHS of 3.6 and the vCt @ 100C of 12-13 is pretty darn good, even for a "race" oil. So I think it can be used in a very "broad" sprectum of applications. Ive been contimplating it. I have been running Solo II events for 4 yrs on Mobil 1 EP 10/30 and I have had no issues. I just think the GC may be an "upgrade" to the Mobil 1 EP. Would you guys agree to that??

I honestly don't know what Evo's oil requirements are, so it's difficult for me to respond to your questions. Does it require a high HT/HS oil? If so, and if you like Mobil1, you'd do even better with something like M1 HM 10w-40. It has HT/HS of 4.06 and is easily available at Wal-Mart at good price.

But if the engine doesn't benefit from such high HT/HS, then all you're doing is killing the fuel economy.

The Lancer Evolution comes from the factory with Mobil 1 10/30 as factory fill. Therefore, I would believe that the engine was suited for use of this type of spec oil. Unless heavily modified of course. I am going to stick with the M1 10/30 EP. I really have no reason to change oils.

My thoughts about German Castrol are this.
Excellent on all counts. Everything I've seen about this oil has been IMPRESSIVE, IMPRESSIVE, IMPRESSIVE.

Its in my Truck, my car, my lawnmower, my pressure washer engine, my pressure washer's pressure pump, etc.

Just an FYI.... I took advantage of the Pepboys sale of GC and a Purolator Pure One oil filter for $27.99. Pepboys has a very limited supply of Pure One filters that apply to Euro autos....but they stock other brands and I took advantage of the sale.

At the register, Mgt did a price adjustment for a regular Purolator filter (instead of the Pure One) for my son's VW Rabbit....which is a $12.99 filter.

So.....

$7.99 x 5 = $39.95 + $12.99 = $52.94

Yeah...I paid $27.99 + Tax

A couple years ago I drained the factory fill from my DeVilbiss 3500 psi pressure washer's pump. Alot of glittery metal shavings in there. Brass colored and silvery too. I refilled it with German Castrol. Ran it a couple more years and last night I drained it out for inspection.
...NO metal particles at all. So I just poured it right back in.
Don't know what it proves, but I think its another notch in GC's belt.

This GC oil really seems to be the ticket for many cars. Euro, Japanese, turbo'd or NA. Just seems to be a [censored] of an oil. I have been debating weather or not to try it. I guess I am stubborn since I have been using M1 for so long. But this oil is hard to ignore. Just seem to fit the bill. Especially for High Performance vehicles. Even for light track use, it should hold up from what I have seen thus far. Pep Boys did just have it on sale, and I went there and all 32 bottles they said they had were gone in 1 day. That must say something!! haha.

Auto Zone also has it on special with a K&N oil filter for $26.99 (I think, unless it's also $27.99).

I was actually thinking about trying it out for the winter.

Where can I find the absolute latest VOA on GC gold, including the TBN??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back