Pennzoil Platinum PAO question

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all you Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 mavens out there: Does PP 5w-30 contains PAOs? I know it meets numerous specs for high-temperature operations e.g. HTO-06, GM 4718M etc., but does this mean PAOs are part of its' make-up? This is a question I have been contemplating lately...
12.gif

And it matters why? Please dont say because you feel you are getting a better deal or better oil if PAO is there...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
And it matters why? Please dont say because you feel you are getting a better deal or better oil if PAO is there...

Quite the contrary; I haven't been able to locate any information on PP as to it containing PAOs. I suppose my underlying question is how PP can meet these certifications without PAOs(that is assuming PP does not contain them).

I believe this has been discussed at some point, I can't remember.

Ah, here. This was in the Pennzoil Ultra Q&A. I think it should answer your question nicely.

Quote:

11. Are the base stocks group III, IV, or V?

Pennzoil Ultra™ is blended with Group III base stocks. These give superior solvency performance to Group IV base stocks, which we believe aids our aim to provide oil that delivers as close to “Factory Clean”. Rather than focus on any single component in the formulation, we focus on the end product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R
I believe this has been discussed at some point, I can't remember.

Ah, here. This was in the Pennzoil Ultra Q&A. I think it should answer your question nicely.

Quote:

11. Are the base stocks group III, IV, or V?

Pennzoil Ultra™ is blended with Group III base stocks. These give superior solvency performance to Group IV base stocks, which we believe aids our aim to provide oil that delivers as close to “Factory Clean”. Rather than focus on any single component in the formulation, we focus on the end product.

Thanks Nick, this points me in the right direction.

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
For all you Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 mavens out there: Does PP 5w-30 contains PAOs? I know it meets numerous specs for high-temperature operations e.g. HTO-06, GM 4718M etc., but does this mean PAOs are part of its' make-up? This is a question I have been contemplating lately...
12.gif

My advice would be.... won't worry about it. You're not buying an ingredient list, you're buying product performance. The product specs are widely available, and VOA/UOA are all over this site for it. PAO is not meaningless, but it has less meaning than other metrics, IMHO.

PAOs are old news anyway. Esters are covering the toughest of syn applications while Group IIIs are handling the rest. PAOs can't hold additives in suspension well so there will be a limit to how much of that you can put in an oil anyways given the additive requirements these days

+1. And the superior oxidative resistance of group III oils mean that high-temperature has less of a long-term issue on them, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back