Yokohama AVID Envigor vs General Altimax HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my DD commuter. Tirerack surveys favor the Yokohama, but the users' mileage on them is a lot less than the General. Both rate well above average and are relatively cheap at about $70/tire. These are for my '96 Saturn SC2.

Best,

Either tire is very good for daily drive. If you don't tires right now and can wait a few weeks, you may be able to buy 4 tires from Discount Tire Direct around Black Friday for a discount of $70, also either brand may have rebate at that time.

When I saw your car listed as an SC2, my gut feeling was the Altimax HP H-rated. My wife's 05' Focus has these tires on the car and it is an extremely good tire. No personal experience w/the Yokohama's listed except @ one time had the TRZ's and those tires did not impress me at all. One other thing you may want to consider is the weight of the tire. The Generals are lighter tires vs. the Envigors. I'd go for the lighter tire. Not sure what you're looking for in a tire, but there are other fine choices as well. Bridgestone 960 and Hankook H727's. I think the Altimax and the Bridgestone 960 are slightly more performance oriented.

Originally Posted By: sparky123
When I saw your car listed as an SC2, my gut feeling was the Altimax HP H-rated. My wife's 05' Focus has these tires on the car and it is an extremely good tire. No personal experience w/the Yokohama's listed except @ one time had the TRZ's and those tires did not impress me at all. One other thing you may want to consider is the weight of the tire. The Generals are lighter tires vs. the Envigors. I'd go for the lighter tire.

Interesting. The Generals are indeed about 2lbs lighter per tire. Also, the aftermarket rims I'm looking at are about 5lbs lighter than stock. So I'd be reducing the unsprung weight by 7lbs per corner.

Best,

I just put the Envigorator on my 06 last week. Like them a lot. Lot more smoother than the Primacy's I had on them before.

I've got about 3000 miles on the Envigor's on my Subie, I'm very pleased. They are quiet, responsive and grippy. I had to drive on a thin layer of ice last week, driving into work. The tires were solid, good traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back