One tire worn more than others

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would cause one tire to wear more then the other three? Currently, it's on the right rear, but I have them rotated every 5k, so I can't tell where it would have worn like that. I don't over-inflate. Thanks!

Isn't the right rear generally the side on a RWD vehicle where most of the power is transferred? I know on my pop's Blazer, the right rear has almost gone bald because I stopped rotating them in anticipation of selling or scrapping the vehicle.

Last edited:
That's the problem with rotating - it covers up basic frame and alignment problems - along with overstressing the tire carcass!

This can be caused by a weak spring or brokne shackle - but most likely its from spinning the RR tire or that tire got carried rearward from a poorly aligned front end. It's a fox chassis, aint they tire eaters? The Mustang II had a good front end - IMO by FAR the best lightweight "stang" chassis. Too bad the car got a "Charlie Angels" stigma! You put a goin motor in there and your G--O------n----------e !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hardcore302
What would cause one tire to wear more then the other three? Currently, it's on the right rear, but I have them rotated every 5k, so I can't tell where it would have worn like that. I don't over-inflate. Thanks!

Check your suspension bushings, ball joints, and dampers.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Isn't the right rear generally the side on a RWD vehicle where most of the power is transferred?

One wheel-drive cars are a thing of the distant past. Even an open differential keeps power going to both wheels as long as they have traction. It's only when one wheel loses traction that all the power goes to it (taking the path of least resistance).

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Isn't the right rear generally the side on a RWD vehicle where most of the power is transferred?

One wheel-drive cars are a thing of the distant past.

I notice quicker but even wear on my right rear tire in the 530i.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

One wheel-drive cars are a thing of the distant past. Even an open differential keeps power going to both wheels as long as they have traction. It's only when one wheel loses traction that all the power goes to it (taking the path of least resistance).

I realize that, but when you hammer down, more power goes to the right rear. It's how a differential works. There's always going to be a tad more force on the drive wheel side of an open differential when you're accelerating . I notice more wear on the right front in my fwd vehicle for the same reason.

:edit: I just found a tire website that claims the reason for the X-pattern tire rotation is to compensate for more wear on the right rear (rwd) and right front (fwd) because more power is sent to those tires under normal conditions.

Last edited:
I know if I had a 2007 Mustang GT, the rear tires would be under A LOT of stress, so perhaps that has something to do with it!
19.gif

I know if I had a 2007 Mustang GT, the rear tires would be under A LOT of stress, so perhaps that has something to do with it!
19.gif

Now that you mention it, I will need a third set at 50K, lol.

I re-read your initial post. You have one tire that's worn down more than the others, and as it passes through each spot in the rotation pattern, it stays more worn then the others? was that particular tire the one put on the right rear when you initially had these tire installed?

Unless I am badly mistaken, the Mustang II is a Pinto, not really known for great suspension.

In a RWD car the RR does take a little more abuse in left-hand drive countries. Heavy acceleration on a right corner (stop sign, traffic light, mall exit) makes the RR most likely to spin, even a little. Higher speed left hand turns followed by throttle application puts cornering plus acceleration load on the RR again.

That all being said, there's still a good chance of an alignment or suspension problem if this started suddenly and these things haven't been checked.

I've found a lot of BMWs wear the RR a *little* faster, but noticeably, even when everything about the car is spot on.

If this one particular tire worn more than the other no matter how you rotate it, then it is a defective tire.

If one particular corner/hub of your car worn tires more than the others, it is most likely alignment, stuck brake, bad bearing, bad suspension, or something other than the tires that causes this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back