O'Reilly Motor Oil Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the latest test from the Petroleum Quality Institute of America back in June of 2010, O'Reilly conventional motor oil failed to meet the NOACK Volatility for an API SM ILSAC GF-4 5W-30. It however met the guidelines for an acceptable expected range NOACK Volatility requirement. As anyone heard anything regarding what O'Reilly and Omni Packaging has done to correct this crucial problem and is the oil still consider a good brand to use despite the NOACK Volatility problem?
coffee2.gif

It seems to do decent from what I've seen, but I really don't put it past cheapie bulk oil from the local lube....

Maybe I can help on this one! I work at O'reilly's , and I can tell you that it is bottled by Omni down in Louisiana. O'reilly conventional and synthetic motor oils consist of basestock oils purchased from the big companies such as Ashland , Sopus and Mobil. Additive packages are from not from them but from smaller independent additive formulators. Pretty much they meet all the required specs for a SM oil however are they great oil's , not really. The conventional is a Group II basestock as far as me and my coworkers know and the synthetic is a Group III , the conventional oil should be good for 3k miles but i wouldnt put it much past that . The synthetic has a very similar looking formula to Valvoline Synpower so possibly it is Ashland basestock and Additives perhaps. In the end they are housebrand oils and perform to current minimum specs , they cant be expected to be Mobil 1 or PYB. Overall not a bad value for the person needing a oil change or top off when the wallet is hurting.

Yeah I wouldnt advise past 3k on the conventional and 5k on the synthetic. Its not liquid garbage but it sure isnt liquid engineering either
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
To my knowledge, PQIA's lab is not certified by the API.

Actually, the lab PQIA uses (Intertek) is the same lab the API uses for its Aftermarket Audit Program (AMAP).

Tom NJ

Originally Posted by Thax
not a bad value for the person needing a oil change or top off when the wallet is hurting.

Almost a decade later, and the price is still pretty low. The coupon made it more attractive.
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back