Small or large torque wrench for wheels and misc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wheels on my Civic call for 80 ft.-lbs. so I purchased the cheap beam 150 ft.-lb. wrench. I'd also like to be able to use it on oil pan drain plugs and my filter for my Sienna (10 and 18 ft.-lbs.), but I'm afraid this bigger one won't be accurate enough. Should I just get the 75 ft.-lb. wrench and max it out for my wheels so I'll have one for misc. engine work or do I really need to get both?

You want to be mid-scale, so several wrenches would be good for you.

But, lug nuts are one of the most important things to have even torque on: that and head bolts, for even clamp loads not warping rotors or cyl heads. So you're in a good spot with your beam wrench.

Harbor freight has a cheap 1/4" clicker wrench that would be good for your pan bolts etc.

Forget the 3/8 or 1/2 for 10 or 18 ft-lb; you need to get 1/4 inch with inch-lb marking. Even for that, I would be little reluctant to use it to tighten to 10 ft-lb.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You want to be mid-scale, so several wrenches would be good for you.

But, lug nuts are one of the most important things to have even torque on: that and head bolts, for even clamp loads not warping rotors or cyl heads. So you're in a good spot with your beam wrench.

Harbor freight has a cheap 1/4" clicker wrench that would be good for your pan bolts etc.

I have the ft lb and inch lb wrench from HF and both are excellant. I would not use the Ft lb wrench on small screws attaching to alum. Go with an inch lb.

If you want a decent mid-priced torque wrench for accommodating torque values from 10 to 18 lb-ft, which is equivalent to 120 to 216 lb-in, Sears has a 3/8" drive micrometer type with a range from 25 to 250 lb-in. You can use it to its specified 4% accuracy from 20% to 100% of full-scale, which is 50 to 250 lb-in, so it covers your range of interest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back