Toptier E10 vs Ethanol free unbranded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you use given the choice, i have both in my area, ethanol free unbranded or toptier up to 10%. ethanol free is about 10 cents more per gallon. Any info appreciated.

We dont have the choice here in Florida, hopefully our new Governor changes that. I bought BP non ethanol gas in CoCoa before the ban and my truck gained 2 miles per gallon and ran Great. A local propane company strated selling Non labeled, non ethanol gas and at first he was swamped with customers from lawn service to boats, I bought some for my atvs and they ran like [censored]. He is not swamped anymore so I dont think I was the only one, So I went back to name brand ethanol E10, Shell and they seem to run alot better on it.

Top Tier doent mean much since its not policed. My local shell has abysmal fuel most of the time. Russian Roulette with gasoline is de riguer- or should I say, "pot luck"?

Originally Posted By: shanneba
List of Ethanol free stations per state and province-
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=LA

I recently stumbled onto that website and had this same question. I have Shell V-power E10 about 2min away, a couple ethanol-free stations nearby, OR the jackpot, an ethanol-free Shell station, about 25min away.

I was wondering if a no-name-brand gas that was ethanol free would be a better choice than the Shell V-Power E10 i normally get.

Would adding a cleaner such as ventil sauber or seafoam to the gas be beneficial if one was to use the ethanol-free unbranded stuff?

I asked this before on BITOG and really got no answer so I'll ask again. Since the government REQUIRES oxygenates in gasoline as I understand it, if there is no ethanol used, what is USED IN ITS PLACE? It could be ethanol free but have MTBE or wood alcohol in it. I would just like to know.

Last edited:
I emailed the major players in my area asking the content of Ethanol in their fuels. Most stated it was a maximum of 10% in their regular 87 octane, while some stated that their supreme 91 octane contained no ethanol. So I opt for the 91 octane from Ultramar on Thursdays because of the "Thursday Supreme Discount", so you can be sure they move lots of it, which is another important variable to me.

So the answer to your question is... if you have the option I would choose to go without the Ethanol.

For the record I have a very consistent commute and run 87 octane. I tried several triple-tank runs on Ethanol Free compared with my usual Top Tier Chevron and I got nothing out of it.

Chemically speaking, Ethanol has 93,000 BTU/gal and Gasoline is 126,000 BTU/gal (I'm going off memory so I may be off a few BTU). This means that energy-wise, a 10 gallon tank of E10 = 1,227,000 BTU. A full 10 gallons of ethanol-free would be = 1,260,000

According to my math, E10 has 97.3% of the energy of ethanol-free gasoline. This isn't a huge amount, but it should mean that if you normally get 25mpg, running ethanol-free gas should yield 25.7mpg in the same condition. It's not a huge difference.

The funny thing was though, I saw exactly the same fuel economy with no statistical difference. The sad thing about it was the fuel cost was 6-10% higher.

Bad buy in my book. Stick with E10 Top Tier.

i use redline SI-1 system cleaner 1oz every fillup with an oz. of water remover and antifreeze from redline to counter the water and drying of etoh..confirmed this with redline...been using this formula for 3-4 years..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back