Help with Seafoam use in neglected engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was given an old Trim Rite edger with a B&S 3.5hp engine that has not been well cared for. I got her running and I want to clean up the fuel sustem and carb. I'm not a mechanic and have no idea how to take apart a carb so I want to just use Seafoam. I'm planning on adding about 2 oz to the very small gas tank and run it till it is empty. Is this safe using 2oz in about a 1 quart gas tank? Heck, can I do half gas and half Seafoam and run the engine till it is cleaned up?

Seafoam says to induce Seafoam directly in air intake and/or fuel lines and let it sit for 5 minutes. How do I do this? Put it in a spray bottle and spray it on the air filter? Any help would be great! Thanks!

I would try about an ounce in the gas first, use some mid-grade fuel from a top-tier station (Shell, Texaco,Chevron, etc). It will get some of the gum out of the carb.

If not, it is time to rebuild/clean the carb. Those classic engines have a very simple carburetor.

Just my .02.

Dave

I have mixed 7-8x Seafoam to gas with great results and no issues.

I just recommended the Mid-Grade, as that is what I use for my OPE. Mainly the 2T equipment recommends it (Echo). That L-head Briggs would be fine with 87 regular. It only has about 6:1 compression.

Dave

Before you go through the magic elixir effort, thoroughly clean out your fuel tank. Considering the condition of the machine, there's a very good chance there's rust/dirt/water in the tank. Prior to cleaning the tank, shake it around a bit, pull the fuel line off the carb and run some fuel into a clear container to inspect it. If it's dirty, it's not likely SeaFoam or any other additive will help. It might cut varnish/gum, but it will not dissolve dirt.

As far as blowing it into the carb, forget it. That will do nothing for the carb. That exercise is to remove carbon from inside the combustion chamber and off the valves.... so they say.

I've used fuel additives in the past. I actually have a can of SeaFoam in the garage. From my personal experience, the effectiveness of it an other additives has been minimal at best and more often than not, ineffective.

I've seen a bit of an improvement in cleaning of the combustion chamber on two cycle engines after blasting a large amount into the engine while running until it stalled and left it overnight. No great improvement of engine performance in most cases though.

If you have dirt in the carb, there is one way to fix it. Take it apart, thoroughly clean it with a very thin wire, WD-40 and compressed air. The problem within the carb will be blockage of the tiny orifices of the jets and/or fuel passages/galleries within the carb body. You should be able to get a diagram of the carb to see how it works and where the fuel flows. That will go a long way to helping you clean the carb.

If you're not up to the task, take it to someone with mechanical experience to do it for you or buy an inexpensive used, functioning carb.

Thanks guys! I'm going to try to check out the carb and maybe take it off the engine. I'll also try the seafoam and run a full tank through the machine.
Once it starts it runs pretty strong and start easy again so maybe it is ok and does not need to be torn down and cleaned. It does surge a bit but that is it.

Ok, I ran 1/3rd bottle(6 oz) of Seafoam through the air intake over about 5 minutes time. It sputtered and smoked a ton! I then hit it with a big shot of Seafoam and stalled the motor. I'll let it sit over night then re start it and burn off a full tank of fresh gas treated with 3 oz of Seafoam. Hopefully that will clean it up a bit.

I also cleaned out the tank. No rust and only a little dirt/debris in the tank.

Is there a fuel filter on the fuel pick up line inside the tank or is there an in line fuel filter? If not, there's a very good chance that your float bowl will also have dirt in it.

A little dirt/debris is all it takes to cause carb problems. A barely visible spec can block a jet orifice or fuel passage way.

Does this carburetor have high and low speed setting screws? If the engine runs well at high speed but is tough to start, it could simply be a matter of adjustment.

Let us know how it runs after that!

Hey - I've used 92-93 Octane, 100% gas in ALL my small engines every time for the past 18 years.......... NO issues whatsoever so go ahead and use it!!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Let us know how it runs after that!

Hey - I've used 92-93 Octane, 100% gas in ALL my small engines every time for the past 18 years.......... NO issues whatsoever so go ahead and use it!!
thumbsup2.gif

Ok I started it up and let it burn up a full tank of gas treated heavly with the Seafoam. Took 3 hours to burn off the gas. It is still surging in the mid range. Throttle set to low and high it runs much better with no surge in the engine. It is still EXTREMELY hard to start. I can pull the rope as fast and hard as I want and it won't start. I pour a little gas in the spark plug hole and it starts up after a pull or 2. If the engine is warm or hot it will start right up on 1 pull.
So how do I smooth out the engine and stop the surging and make it easy to pull start with out having to pour gas in the spark plug every time?

Does the carb have adjustment screws? High and low speed (main jet and pilot jet)? Can you post a picture of the carb?

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Does the carb have adjustment screws? High and low speed (main jet and pilot jet)? Can you post a picture of the carb?

I have never worked on a carb. I'll try to post pictures tonight but my computer is acting up so if I don't it's because the computer won't work. I'll get it fixed soon though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back