Oil change for winter? 10w30 vs. 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of months ago, following the untimely demise of my '08 6.4L F250, I bought a new 2011 6.7L PSD F350. It seemed strange to me that this engine specs 10w30 for most use, and 15w40 only for high temperature towing.

I was planning on changing the oil in December with 5w40 because it will be getting below zero frequently this winter. Here are the recommended grades for this engine:

67LOil.jpg

Just two weeks ago the turbo had to be replaced, and they changed the oil as part of the procedure. I don't want to dump out fresh oil with only a few miles on it, but I also don't want to damage my engine. Should I switch to 5w40? Or will the fresh 10w30 do okay this winter?

Back for more navistar abuse - ever hear of a Cummins?
wink.gif

Do you expect temps form more than a handfull of cold starts below 0F during the OCI?

Maybe Run the 10w-30 through First week of January.

If you live in a place where it goes below 0 degrees Farenheit, then I would use one of those fantastic 0W 40 synthetics all year round (Mobil 1). The chart is pretty clear. Good luck with your new truck.

There some good 5w40 good oils. I would choose one of them on my beauty. Hands down. You have the protection from the cold and the tough severe duty if you should so need. Go by the chart and look at the best option...looks like 5w40 is a clear winner.

PS: TomYoung's recommendation of a 0w40 is a good one too. But it is usually harder to find and isn't on the severe service rec's. If you don't have severe use, 0w40 is a 'next best' in my book.
I just saw you had a turbo replaced, I think, though a shame, it would be a good Idea to change the oil in the next 30 days. You would probably be OK, but why take the chance?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
wink.gif

Do you expect temps form more than a handfull of cold starts below 0F during the OCI?

Actually the 6.7 is Ford-but if you've followed the 6.0/6.4 story Navistar blames it all on Ford trying to squeeze more HP & torque out. If the 6.7 still has the HEUI injection pump-go with a synthetic. If it has a NON-oil driven high pressure pump (a la Cummins or Dmax)-then dino 10W30 would be fine.

Also-the above poster was right about changing the oil after turbo replacement-you don't want the junk circulating through the oil system. What killed the 6.4?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
wink.gif

Yep, looked at a couple Cummmins powered trucks when I replaced my '08. The only problem was that every Cummins engine I found had a Dodge wrapped around it...

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Actually the 6.7 is Ford-but if you've followed the 6.0/6.4 story Navistar blames it all on Ford trying to squeeze more HP & torque out. If the 6.7 still has the HEUI injection pump-go with a synthetic. If it has a NON-oil driven high pressure pump (a la Cummins or Dmax)-then dino 10W30 would be fine.

Both the 6.4L and 6.7L use a high pressure common-rail design rather than HEUI.

You're exactly right, this engine has no relation to Navistar in any way. The turbo was replaced because I didn't like the noise it was making on cold starts; it always ran just great though. I even heard that some noise like I was hearing was normal, but as bad as it was they replaced the turbo anyway.

Also-the above poster was right about changing the oil after turbo replacement-you don't want the junk circulating through the oil system. What killed the 6.4?

The oil was changed as part of the turbo replacement. The oil now has 300 miles on it, and this is why I'm torn about replacing it so soon. I'm assuming they used the factory-spec 10w30.

I would use the 10w-30 year round, unless you fall into the extreme heavy towing. I personally use dino HDEO 10w-30 year round; I put my money where my mouth is. it will get down to zero deg F a few times a year in my area; never had starting issues and UOAs always come back fine.

If you want a bit of extra conscious-soothing 'comfort zone', then try the new T5 10w-30 available at most WM stores for a very attractive price (recently seen under $12/gallon).

Last edited:
+1 on the 10w-30 year around.
unless you are expecting to travel well north of ohio you won't experience cold enough temps to justify the added expense of a 5w-xx, or 0w-xx oil.

on my 07 powerstroke i have just completed just over a year and 30,000mi.+ on 10w-30, with excellent wear numbers.

somewhere along the line we were all convinced by someone that you had to run 15w-40 in a diesel, that just isn't the case, and your owners manual states that.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
nless you are expecting to travel well north of ohio you won't experience cold enough temps to justify the added expense of a 5w-xx, or 0w-xx oil.

I live in NW Wisconsin.

0w30 weight oils aren't good for diesels.

They are prone to cause cylinder wear due to fuel dilution. I would not go below a 40 weight or a winter rating of 5W for any diesel I own.

Of course I am only referring to 2007 models or latter and not including any MBenz model

Last edited:
One of these days I'll figure out how to fix it!

I'm thinking at this point I'll probably be fine staying with the 10w30 they put in. I don't expect a lot of cold starts much below zero, but I will be using a block heater.

It's a shame I can't find a good way to heat the oil pan. This thing uses a composite oil pan with a textured bottom which would make an oil pan heater useless!

Originally Posted By: madibob
What killed the 6.4?

+1 Thought the 6.4 was reliable?

It was! My wife's driving killed it. Lost control and smacked a rock at 45 MPH.

It was a good truck for the 15,200 miles it had seen upon it's untimely demise.

Originally Posted By: STG
What the heck is wrong with you people?

When I spend big money for a thing I don't want fluffy recommendations on a oil based on CAFE requirements or other such political nonsense.

I want what is BEST for the engine.

Sometimes politics enters into the writing of the manual.

Some people yet to have figured it out today, they live in the past where people did not lie and misrepresent.

Question authority, only a first grader does what they are told all the time no matter what...

Originally Posted By: badnews
Quote:
Isn't self righteous idiocy grand?

Well you are the answer to that

Still waiting for your politically correct Powerstroke CAFE numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back