Air Filter Oils? For YZ 250?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever use Bar and chain oil on their filter?
It seems very tacky. I wonder how much tackifier in Air filter oil versus Bar and chain oil.

yam711

Chainsaw bar oil is inexpensive and it sticks like gorilla snot. Don't worry. It will NOT run out.

Get the summer version. It's much thicker than winter formula. One quart/liter will last a very long time. It's as effective as anything out there costing quite a bit more.

Best way to use it is to put your filter in a zip lock bag, pour in half a oz. of oil and use the bag to spread it around. That way you don't get it all over your hands. WD-40 works great for clean up.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Nowhere near as tacky as filter oil though. I bet it will run out of the filter.

So you have tried this? I have tried this on the outside of my
uni filter and you tap the filter with your hand and its real
stringy. I'm just paranoid.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Chainsaw bar oil is inexpensive and it sticks like gorilla snot. Don't worry. It will NOT run out.

Get the summer version. It's much thicker than winter formula. One quart/liter will last a very long time. It's as effective as anything out there costing quite a bit more.

Best way to use it is to put your filter in a zip lock bag, pour in half a oz. of oil and use the bag to spread it around. That way you don't get it all over your hands. WD-40 works great for clean up.

Oh, great tips here! So you are a user? Did not know that there was a summer and winter version.
Talk about cost. The shop had bel ray filter oil for 15 bucks for the stuff.

Thanks
Yam711

I've been using it on dirt bike and ATV oil foam filters for decades. It works and works well. I owned some machines for well over twenty years and have an old Suzuki two stroke race bike that's over 30 years old. Never had an engine problem and those machines were worked like a rented mule.

One more tip...

Keep a spare filter in a zip lock bag, cleaned oiled and ready to go. When it's time for a change, you can take the dirty filter off, throw it into some solvent to let it soak and put the clean one on. You can finish cleaning the dirty one at the end of the day.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
I've been using it on dirt bike and ATV oil foam filters for decades. It works and works well. I owned some machines for well over twenty years and have an old Suzuki two stroke race bike that's over 30 years old. Never had an engine problem and those machines were worked like a rented mule.

One more tip...

Keep a spare filter in a zip lock bag, cleaned oiled and ready to go. When it's time for a change, you can take the dirty filter off, throw it into some solvent to let it soak and put the clean one on. You can finish cleaning the dirty one at the end of the day.

Well thats testimony right there! How often do you change
the filter? I started to do it every ride if I see a few
specs of dirt, I start to get paranoid and feel I need to change it. Is that too excessive you think? Do you put it on chains as well?
Thanks for the tips!

Yam711

Cleaning the filter depends on the riding conditions. Lots of dust/water means more cleaning. Daily if necessary.

However, under normal riding conditions, usually once or twice per season. When the foam begins to develop discoloration and a bit of a sheen from dust accumulation, air flow will begin to get restrictive. Often,it will be more predominant on the side/end of the air box where the intake is. Sometimes, if the filter is really clogged, it will cause a choke effect and result in more burnt fuel and some power loss as well.

Bottom line is that if it looks dirty, it should be cleaned. If it looks a bit discoloured but not clogged, I'd run it a bit more before cleaning. If, getting to the air filter is more work than cleaning it, you might as well clean it while you've got access to it.

Yes. I've used it on chains too. Don't like to use too much on a street bike because it can be messy. On a dirt bike, it won't be as noticeable. Clean the chain with WD-40 and brush the bar oil on lightly.

the nice thing about using NoToil is that you can wash it out in the sink and is biodegradable.

i think maxima FFT is the best, but once again you are back with the mineral spirits and blue goop all over the place.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
the nice thing about using NoToil is that you can wash it out in the sink and is biodegradable.

i think maxima FFT is the best, but once again you are back with the mineral spirits and blue goop all over the place.

How long does a bottle of no toil last? Also, I wonder
what tackifier they use and still call it biodegradable?
Makes me want to get a sample and test it out with the chemist buddy to see whats in it.

I switched to No Toil filter oil during summer break of my racing series. It isn't nearly as tacky as the Bel-Ray I was using before but it seems to get the job done, at least the filter always has that coating of dirt on it after a dusty race or ride and it surely is much easier to clean. The easy cleaning is a big plus for me...I clean air filters on four race quads.

a bottle of notoil lasts the same as any other.

there are 2 or 3 other bio air filter oils on the market now.

except for the oem filter that came in my '01 back in nov of '00 i have ONLY used notoil air filter oil in all of my oil tests. my Silicon levels clearly show that it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back