SuperTech ST3614.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use this filter? I can't tell what type it is. I'm guessing an ecore? Should it be avoided?

I would use a FRAM( orange can) before a E-core. Really, spring the extra money and buy about anything else. The big plastic squares are big enough to let a possible ruptured filter piece of paper go up into your engine and cause a blockage. At least a Fram has a metal perforated inner sleeve to prevent things like that. Dirty oil slipping past the filter wont ruin your motor, a piece of filter material will.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I get 10K miles out of them before I change them. They work great on my Honda.

They aren't E-core filters for Honda/Mazda/other imports. Just 8A, 16, 3387A, 3980, 3600, 3614 are. I may have left one or two out.

theres no way i would use an e-core after what ive seen.... i had a very small coolant leak, one that would probably go undetected to the common person, and it was beating the [censored] out of my oil filters. after seeing what an unknown problem can do to a wix and purolator pureone, i would never chance it with an e-core.

Last edited:
You can diss the e-core all you want, I've never cut one that failed.. milages range from 2,600 to 7,900. All good.

The holy Motorcraft, however, had a seam that was hardly glued.

Here are two examples of E-Cores that came out of two different vehicles that I own. These were the first used filters I cut open with my oil filter cutting tool. Just two data points out of perhaps millions of filters in service.

Here's a photo of a 3614:

ST3614006.jpg

Here's the cage from a 3980:

ST3980008_a.jpg

ST3980014.jpg

Last edited:
I'd be open to any filter I can get for less than $3.50 w/ no rebate hassling.

Too bad this is an ecore. I'll probably still run it for my 10k intervals until something else is reasonably priced. I really like the Purolator Classics but they are $5+ every time I look.

Just look at the quality of the construction on these things...yeah you might have gotten lucky and not had any problems with the couple that you used, but why chance it?

If you have a Menards in your area, they routinely sell Quaker State (Purolator-made) filters on sale for about $2. It's what I'm running now since I can get them cheaper than anything else around here..

Keep the escrap on the shelf for the next poor fool,,run a real filter like a WIX,NG,CQR,P1,etc, and sleep good knowing your not feeding you engine filter media!

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
If you have a Menards in your area, they routinely sell Quaker State (Purolator-made) filters on sale for about $2. It's what I'm running now since I can get them cheaper than anything else around here..

thats exactly what i did. the menards in my town is moving so to empty out their old (current) store everything is 20% off. quaker state filters are normally priced $2.84, which is an amazing deal for that filter. i cleared out their stock of fl-1a equivalents.
exactly which cow town are you from, btw?

Last edited:
Wow, you guys are lucky to find such a great deal on the QS filters. I guess I really don't need any filters....I have around 35 or so that fit my GM vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Jakegday
exactly which cow town are you from, btw?

Originally born & raised in Omaha, but we're living in Wayne right now while my wife goes to the college here.

These smaller towns have really grown on me at times. Other times....well
smile.gif
I do go through Fremont from time to time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back