Anyone ever replace a Bronco starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend's mom has a 1994 Ford Bronco with 5.0 V8 and it won't start. Turn the key, and you get a loud click from the starter and nothing else. The battery tested weak, so I replaced it and still nothing but a click. Replaced the starter solenoid on the fender and still the same. (it was easy to do and worth a shot) Since the click is coming from the starter itself, I'm assuming the starter is getting power and everything else is working properly, and just the starter needs to be replaced.

I will probably check it out some more this weekend and probably replace the starter. I would like to know what I'm getting myself into beforehand though. Anyone know how difficult it is to replace a starter on one of these and/or have any advice?

I suppose I should add that I've never replaced a starter in any vehicle before, but I know what is basically involved and I'm confident enough in my mechanical abilities to do this.

Last edited:
Completely OT but I just got done with my 4.0 ranger/b4000 4wd.

Consider hanging the frame on jackstands so the front axle droops for more room around the driveshaft/axle.

If you can get under there with a screwdriver (make sure it's in park/neutral) you can jumper the two huge nuts to bypass the starter-mounted solenoid and test the motor. It was this solenoid that went out on my ranger, and it was seperately replaceable.

If it's akward to test on the vehicle, pull it and either use jumper cables or take it to your friendly parts store.

Its probably the solenoid on the starter itself. I just went through this on my 1993 F-150 which is the same as a bronco.

Disconnect battery, roll under truck and remove the lead to the starter solenoid, remove the 2 bolts holding th starter on the enigne and it pops out. Tight corroded bolts are the only real issue.

I did similar testing but without replacing things. I checked that battery was good I could here the solenoid clicking to be sure while in the engine bay I jumped the solenoid still nothing that leaves a break/short or bad starter/solenoid. In my case I could turn the end of the solenoid with my hand, it was bad. Once out of the truck I jumped the starter it was still good but a bit weak when starting. The new starter is much better and faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back