You pick: Castrol or Valvoline Mercon V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to have the trans in my LS flushed and filled after the new year. I'm going to purchase the fluid in the next week or two, (car takes around 13 qts) probably from Advance's website using a 40% off discount code.

It looks like their only name brand choices are Castrol and Valvoline. I presonally hav warm fuzzy feelings towards Valvoline and think they make great stuff. I'm not so much a Castrol/BP fan, and no, it's not because of the oil spill in the gulf. For some reason I just can't stand Castrol GTX motor oil. I don't like their branding, I don't like their packaging, and I don't see why it always seems a little more expensive than everything else. My Dad always used GTX in his Thunderbirds, Tahoes, Mark VIII, and boats without any issue. I have no real reason to dislike Castrol... I just do! (At least I'm honest!)

Both flavors are the same price, so that's not a factor. What do you guys think? Any data or real life experienceyou can show shoowing one to be superior to the other?

If I were to make the purchase right now, it would be Valvoline. Plus, blue is my favorite color, so I think the bottles are pretty! :p

Oh, I also plan on servicing the differential at the same time. It uses 75-140 gear oil. I think I may go Amsoil or RP, but I can get Mobil 1 synthetic a lot cheaper. Any thoughts there?

Yeah I'm with you for the same reason. I've used Valvoline for ages and it's never done me wrong. BTW: Valvoline also makes a Synthetic 75w-140 gear oil. It's product number is VV981.

If you like Valvoline and don't like Castrol, just go with the Valvoline. I don't think you'll have any issues with either.

I can't give you any reason Castrol is better than Valvoline. I would feel comfortable with either but would lean toward Valvoline because I don't like BP either. JMO.

Now with the gear oil, I know some gearheads that would never consider using anything else but AMSOIL (SVO) gear oil. It is a tough well made product that can take a beating. I know it is expensive so it depends on how hard you use your vehicle or how much you want to 'baby' it. I would go with the M1 if I got a great deal or didn't push my ride that hard, it is probably more than adequate. The Amsoil is excellent.

I used 14 quarts of Castrol Mercon V to flush and fill a 1997 Ranger earlier this year and it has been just fine. I did get most of it for $2.50 a quart which sealed the deal in my choice of brands. I would use it again without issue.

If you like valvoline, go with that.

I have castrol ATF in the Hyundai. Bought 25ish quarts at walmart for 2 dollars a quart. Before the oil spill. Transmission was a little neglected by the previous owner. Sludge all over the magnetic drain plug. Gross. A couple drain and fills later, perfect!
Castrol seems to work well. Smooth shifting. I have no complaints.

And this is coming from someone who isn't a fan of castrol. No bp gas or other products until I feel like they have followed up on the mistakes and work towards preventing future ones.

I just don't like castrol because of that torture test commercial. It's completely fake. I haven't seen it in a while but its still left a sour taste. Im sure eitheer would be great though.

I'll throw in my .02.
Some years ago, at about 119K, the Aerostar was exhibiting both a shudder on the third to fourth shift and delayed engagement of reverse.
I dropped the pan, cleaned it, and replaced the filter and its o-ring.
I replaced the four quarts of fluid I got out of it with Valvoline Mercon V, and crossed my fingers.
My next step, had this not helped, was a cooler line flush.
Wonder of wonders, the tranny now acted like it was young again, with smooth shifting in all ranges, and instantaneous engagement of reverse even when cold.
Not saying that only Valvoline Mercon V could have done this.
I am saying that it did well in this application, and based upon my experience it would be my pick among Mercon Vs.

I have used Castrol MV in my daily-driver Mercury Marauder. Absolutely no difference that I can detect between that and Motorcraft. The last batch came out (at 22,000 miles) just as clear and bright red as it went in.

I'm not a fan of BP for philosophical reasons, and I don't buy Castrol any more, but their products are as good as any other. I have Valvoline waiting to go in next time.

Last edited:
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_MerconV.pdf

http://valvoline.com/pdf/MERCON_V.pdf

I find that Valvoline seems to feel better than Castrol. And, leftover Valvoline has more uses than Castrol.

I have nothing against Castrol products at all.
My main reason for not using Castrol stems back to 1988.. my buddy asked me to help him change his oil. I said sure.. go get valvoline. he comes back with castrol. Why? He just said castrol was the best but didn't know why. So since I was biased against castrol, and I really don't know why still.. I've rarely used castrol because I had to make a point to him that Valvoline was better. Is it really? nope.. you'd be fine with either one.
Just wish WM carried Valvoline Tranny fluid! (at least the WM near me)

Cool beans guys. I get paid Friday and will probably make the order for Valvoline MercV over the weekend. I still haven't decided on the diff lube... I'll probably just go with the M1 because I can get it at 40% off. I don't autocross with my 2+ ton Lincoln, so I guess it'll be fine. I do drive it pretty hard sometimes, but if the factory stuff in it has been ok so far, I don't think I'll see too much difference with RL or Amsoil vs M1.

I'll update this whenever I have evrything done.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back