Oil Dipstick Hole Lexus IS250...any comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
10dxogx.jpg

Here is the backstory. This Lexus was manufactured on Oct 2006 and bought as a 2007 model year Lexus. Vehicle has been sitting in garage for MONTHS on end or a year at a time for that matter. Weather is usually humid in summer and mild in winter even though we had bad a few blizzards in the last year in Virginia. FLuke? But still garaged and never ran in winter.

Again this vehicle has been garaged most of it's life and barely used since it has only 4300 miles on it!

The dealer has been changing the oil every year and the sticker for the next oil change is 9100 miles. So you can tell that the oil sits there most of the time with the scheduled oil change never happening because of the car hardly being used. Even though I have heard oil should be changed even if the vehicle sits still for extended periods because of such thing as condensation. etc.... We have never done so.

With that said, any thoughts even if it looks good in there, what about the additives (decreasing?) This car has been garaged 99% of the time but I am getting sick of jump starting it because of a dead battery that we are trying to drive it more often.

Is oil still good sitting there not being used?
I was planning to add some left over Pennzoil Ultra (about a quart) but the oil in the Lexus is still in the full mark. I don't know how to change oil in it and never tried.
I expected to see black gunk and with ugly junk in there JUST BECAUSE I thought it would break down because it is NEVER used and sitting there. So what oil does Lexus use? Seems like a good storage oil too if you want to keep your car in a museum. I also included a picture of the color of the oil on the dipstick.
2zgeveo.jpg

Buy a (black and decker) battery minder/tender, about 25 bucks at home depot - it will keep your battery charged. Oil would be fine just sitting. No condensation if the motor isnt run - a quick periodic start and insufficient warmup is BAD and WIL cuse moisture + acid. You'll be fine with what your doing. If a car is sitting and NOT used it should be probably SOLD. I need a IS250 - but with a manual transmission - these cars have GOOD resale. Sell it.

Last edited:
At least it looks nice and clean in there.I cant see in mine because of that baffle they use.

Last edited:
Why have own it if you aren't driving it? As mentioned, I'd say sell it....

Cause yea, you need to keep to the manufacturer warranty no matter what.....whether it's based on mileage or "length" - not frequent with Toyota/Lexus maintenance, but I know my Kia's had 12 month/7.5k intervals for "normal" maintenance (non-severe).

fwiw I own a 2009 Lexus IS250 and have been running Mobil 1 Ow-30 AFE and it seems to be working very well(car seems more smooth than with conventional 5w-30). I also run TRD filters, although the standard toyota cartridge filters are of great quality. Although they are close to $15 dollars a pop, they are a Glass Media type and can be run much longer and provide a superior level of filtration.

These cars do hold almost 7 quarts of oil which makes an oil change a bit more expensive, but Mobil 1 AFE is only about $24 for a 5 quart jug at wally world, and about 6 and a half per quart. Really you would only have to change the oil every 6 months if that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back