Very low oil consumption in a Toyota Matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2009 Toyota Matrix XR automatic 2.4 2AZ-FE has used hardly any oil since it was changed just under 8000 km. (5000 mi.) ago. To be specific the dipstick is down about a third of an inch or about 8 mm. from full indicating oil consumption of around one litre per 24,000 km. (15,000 mi.). The car has 48,000 km. (30,000 mi.) on it and was purchased new. I have used Mobil 1 5W30 and a FRAM 4386 filter exclusively since the first oil change at 5000 km. (3200 mi.). This is consistent with past oil consumption, although consumption increases slightly with shorter trips around the city.

I am very impressed with this and intend to stick with 1 5W30 even though Toyota recommends 5W20 or synthetic 0W20. I am just not comfortable with these lighter oils even with all the assurances from Toyota and elsewhere. In fact, on page 395 of the owner's manual Toyota says: "... An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions." Since I often use the vehicle under these conditions I believe 5W30 is the right oil and I don't think Toyota or anyone else can disagree given the extremely low oil consumtion.

Id def use the 20 weight all the time if recommended. Regarding the oil loss my astro loses no measureable amount on the dipstick over 4k miles. Id rethink the 20 weight if I were you though.

I would expect this. It is consistent with our vehicles of various makes and models and engines.

I have a friend with a Vibe with that same engine and he ran PP 0w20 all winter, says it ran excellent. I would not worry about using the 20wt that is spec'd from the MFR!

My 2az also uses almost no oil (1/8 in in 7500 miles) on 5-30. I wouldn't hesitate to run a 20 weight, though, especially in the wintertime. And I definitely fall under severe service. I just have so much 5-30 in my stash.

Last edited:
I'd add a real oil pressure gauge. I bet the 5w20 would give fine pressure, eg be in bypass. All 5w30 could do would be to move slower and remove less heat.

High speeds on the interstate are not high load. I don't think you could even make a high load (on your bearings by lugging) with an auto trans. High speeds also come with a corresponding rise in oil volume/pressure.

Originally Posted By: WilliamD
My 2009 Toyota Matrix XR automatic 2.4 2AZ-FE has used hardly any oil since it was changed just under 8000 km. (5000 mi.) ago. To be specific the dipstick is down about a third of an inch or about 8 mm. from full indicating oil consumption of around one litre per 24,000 km. (15,000 mi.). The car has 48,000 km. (30,000 mi.) on it and was purchased new. I have used Mobil 1 5W30 and a FRAM 4386 filter exclusively since the first oil change at 5000 km. (3200 mi.). This is consistent with past oil consumption, although consumption increases slightly with shorter trips around the city.

I am very impressed with this and intend to stick with 1 5W30 even though Toyota recommends 5W20 or synthetic 0W20. I am just not comfortable with these lighter oils even with all the assurances from Toyota and elsewhere. In fact, on page 395 of the owner's manual Toyota says: "... An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions." Since I often use the vehicle under these conditions I believe 5W30 is the right oil and I don't think Toyota or anyone else can disagree given the extremely low oil consumtion.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

Interesting first post, by the way. Were you looking for feedback, or just dropping by to offer an opinion?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

Interesting first post, by the way. Were you looking for feedback, or just dropping by to offer an opinion?

Thinking the same thing!
whistle.gif

Welcome and it will be interesting to see what subjects/content you post here...

Bill

Welcome to BITOG!!

Nothing wrong with running a 30 weight in that engine, in fact that's what I do personally with our 2010 Corolla, except for the current fill which was a 'free' change from the dealer with bulk 5w20.

Be it known that the North American owners manual is the only edition that lists Xw20 weight as the preferred suggestion, whereas everywhere else in the world lists all the way up to a 40wt.

I have read various reports of some users greatly decreasing and completely eliminating oil consumption when they moved up to a 30wt.

Feel free to try a different brand like PP in the same 30wt and see if that changes your consumption.

Last edited:
My toyota(s) sounded like they were coming apart with 5w20 oil in them. Had to dump the oil immediately. 2005 2Azfe and 2008 1nzfe - both Manual Ortega x-missions. A "loaner" 2010 camry sounded fine with 2k miles and like gatbage when I had the exact same car with 4500 miles. May have just been "carboned up".

Last edited:
my 2001 Eclipse GT V6 with 124,xxx on it falls under severe service. it gets run quite hard, many triple digit WOT to redline pulls, it gets raced, and even then it doesnt burn any noticable amount of oil even over an 8,000-10,000 mile OCI. 4.5qt sump, i put in 5 and call it a day, always stays at maximum. current fill is Ultra 5w30.

i wouldnt hesiate to run 5w20 in your car especially since it is spec'd to do so. better fuel economy. and face it, its a toyota, it will run a million miles on vegatable oil.

d00df00d,
Well, Toyota here is offering a special price on a 5W20 synthetic oil change. Now that it's about time to change the oil I am tempted to try it. However, I still have misgivings about a lighter oil.

ChuckBerry,
On my latest road trip I generally drove around 100 kph. or about 60 mph. A lot of the driving was on flat prairie. However, there is a stretch of Hwy. 17 in northern Ontario just above the north shore of Lake Superior that has some very steep hills - more like small mountains - where the engine had to work harder. I would say this would be considered under "extreme load conditions".

Another interesting point is that Mobil 1 does not offer a 5W20 or 0W20 oil in Sweden which has a fairly cold climate. Therefore in its recommendations for Toyota vehicles there is no reference to these oils - I assume these are the same as what Toyota Sweden recommends. You can check this out here:
http://www.mobil1.se/ Click on "produktvaljare on the right hand side of the page and you'll get a new window: "valj"
You can then select a vehicle and see what viscosity of Mobil 1 they recommend.

Last edited:
d00df00d,
Well, Toyota here is offering a special price on a 5W20 synthetic oil change. Now that it's about time to change the oil I am tempted to try it. However, I still have misgivings about a lighter oil.

Most of the misgivings about using a thinner oil (as long as it's recommended by the manufacturer) are based on emotion, rather than reason. The reasons for why this is the case have been beaten to death, but they're out there if you want them.

ChuckBerry,
On my latest road trip I generally drove around 100 kph. or about 60 mph. A lot of the driving was on flat prairie. However, there is a stretch of Hwy. 17 in northern Ontario just above the north shore of Lake Superior that has some very steep hills - more like small mountains - where the engine had to work harder. I would say this would be considered under "extreme load conditions".

Unless you're towing something, I wouldn't count that as extreme load. I've gone over 8K feet mountain passes with 4 people in the car and 6 bikes on top, and the result was a brief a 1-2 degree increase in operating temps. I don't know where the cut-off is for every engine, but unless you're revving it much higher than normal for extended periods of time, or you have a way to quantify oil temps, this just doesn't sound remotely close to severe service to me.

Another interesting point is that Mobil 1 does not offer a 5W20 or 0W20 oil in Sweden which has a fairly cold climate. Therefore in its recommendations for Toyota vehicles there is no reference to these oils - I assume these are the same as what Toyota Sweden recommends. You can check this out here:
http://www.mobil1.se/ Click on "produktvaljare on the right hand side of the page and you'll get a new window: "valj"
You can then select a vehicle and see what viscosity of Mobil 1 they recommend.

This is something that comes up quite often. Normally, the implication is "the man is trying to foist this thin oil on us, look at the recommendations in X country". I'm not saying you're suggesting that, I'm just mentioning that it comes up a lot.

I'd look at the specific market in question. In Sweden, the top 3 selling cars are 2 Volvos and a Passat, all of which are spec'd with thicker oils.

I'm guessing they don't carry it because there just isn't much of a market for it. My local O'Reilly's only stocks 2 5W20's, and even that's an improvement compared to a year ago. If Mobil thought it would be worth it to bring it in, I imagine they would.

We're a big market for motor oil, and we have a lot of options; and yet even here finding 5W20 can be harder than it should be, and 0W20 downright difficult. It doesn't surprise me at all that they don't bring in all of their products to every country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back