Snow Tires for 2006 Honda Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first and so far only order experience with TireRack has been incredibly good.

I received four tires, had them mounted, and somewhere along the lines one of the tires developed a puncture in the sidewall before the wheels/tires were mounted on the car.

TireRack shipped me another tire and didn't even ask me to return the damaged one.

General Altimax Arctic is pretty good. Very reasonably priced, too.

You don't need to get them studded, even though they're studdable.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
General Altimax Arctic is pretty good. Very reasonably priced, too.

Yes, they are.

Also, if you travel to areas that may require chains.... keep a set in the trunk. Thule makes a good set that is easier to install & remove--- can get them from www.vulcantire.com

+1 on altimax arctic. They're even tolerable in the dry as far as cornering, noise.

I have heard great things about Nokian winter tires. They run the only permanent winter tires testing facility in the world and they have great snow and ice traction and a very low rolling resistance which will give you better fuel economy than most other tires.

If you are starting fresh on winter tires than take a look at Nokian. I will probably get a set of there tires when the current winter tires on my Legacy wear down.

I have Blizzak WS60 on my RX400h, previously I had Blizzak REVO1 on my Outback. Newer model is the WS70, which is supposedly a step above the Michelin X-ice xi2.

WS70 review

The problem (well not so much a problem) is that this year's best, will be next year's second best as winter tire technology is advancing so quickly.

I've also had Pirelli Winter Carving (these were good) and Michelin Pilot Alpin (the first generation, which were not very good - the current generation PA3(?) is supposed to be good. As you can probably tell, though, I'm kind of partial to the Blizzaks.

All that being said, 'almost' any winter tire will be far better than an all season when the weather gets cold and the snow arrives.

Last edited:
Michelin X-Ice2's will last a long time and are very pleasant tires on ice/snow/slush/wet and dry pavement.

Anything that is "studdable" (aka snow tire) means less than stellar ice performance without noisy studs. Ice may not be a huge factor though for you, I have no idea what winter WA roads are like.

You already know this but in case not, you need 4 not two 2 winter tires on a FWD.

If most of your winter driving will be on hard packed snow or ice conditions, then any of the studless snow types (Blizzak, X-ice etc.) would be better, or studded types with studs. If most of your driving will be on fresh snow or slush, then any of the studded types (without studs) would be better. I've used both for going on 3 decades now, and I prefer the studded types without studs where I live.

Back home in Finland, we used to rally the same tires with or withouth studs.

Of course the studs were better on ice, but a lot of the studdable tires were as good on ice without studs as almost any non-studdable tire

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Michelin X-Ice2's will last a long time and are very pleasant tires on ice/snow/slush/wet and dry pavement.

Based on some reviews, the X-Ice Xi2 are not well suited for the type of snow found in wet coast of BC or NW USA.

Dave

Ordered up the 235/65R16 Bridgestone Blizzak WS70's from Tire Rack.

No Altimax in that size. Amazing that Tire Rack is actually cheaper (by $20/tire) than Discount. - Now here is the amazing factoid: Discount couldn't get 16 X 7 steel wheels. And dang - expensive from Tire Rack......what the heck??

So after half a day of calling about searching the web....checking Fort Knox.....I actually figured all said and done it's best just to get the whole package from Tire Rack. Mounted and balance and delivered. I saved $50 by waiting until Dec 1 delivery.

If you can use another size 225/70-16 instead of 235/65-16, you will have many more choices.

Dimension of Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 235/65-16: Width 9.5", Diameter 28"
Dimension of General Altimax Arctic 225/70-16: Width 9.0", Diameter 28.4"

A slightly narrower tire is better on wet, snow and ice. A slightly taller(1.6%) doesn't effect handling/performance much on dry surface.

General Altimax Arctic 225/70-16 is $88 and Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 235/65-16 is $109, the difference in a set of 4 is $84.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
A slightly taller(1.6%) doesn't effect handling/performance much on dry surface.

And on a positive side, it gives you slightly more ground clearance, in case the snow is deep.
smile.gif

Tires arrived.

Our snow started Sunday. Then really got going last night. And then got really cold. 19°F and it's 6:30 PM! SNOW Tires for the Odyssey arrived yesterday. 235/65R16 Bridgestone Blizzak WS70's from Tire Rack. I got home to find them sitting the driveway (Stupid, lazy UPS) They could have brought them to the shop or front porch and pushed the door bell!! Anyway - I put them on on the dark cold last night. Wife was tooling about today - no issues. Really NICE tires. AWESOME ICE GRIP.

One problem - 3 tires had air, one was flat on arrival. Filled them all.....to 35 psi. So far the one that arrived flat seems OK....called TireRack, they said to take it off and have it dunk checked..

Sorry, Pabs, but 19F is not really cold. It might be fresh, but we may not even make it to 19F for a HIGH on Thursday. Oh well, not complaining because this is where I choose to domicile, but funny how some body parts shrink and others grow when it gets that brisk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back