Reducing side-view mirror blind spots

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Altima Coupe has pretty big blind spots. Proper adjustment of the side-view mirrors helps of course, but I haven't found a position that provides 100% perfect visibility.

I've gotten along fine for the 2.5 years that I've owned my Altima Coupe, but as the winter approaches and it's now dark when I drive home from work in the evening, I started wondering about trying some of those small, convex, wide-angle mirrors that stick on your side-view mirrors.

Has anyone tried these? Did they help? Is there a shape (e.g. round or rectangular) that works better? Is there a position on the side-view mirror where they work best?

If I'm going to try something, I want a high-quality product that works and doesn't mess up the clean look of the car.

Thats what my sister had on her RSX so she could see other cars better. As a natural habit, I ALWAYS turn my head to actually see if it is clear to change lanes.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
As a natural habit, I ALWAYS turn my head to actually see if it is clear to change lanes.

Me too, though in the Altima Coupe it doesn't really help at all. It has very small porthole-like rear windows on the sides of the car and from the driver's seat you can't see much of anything through them.

I have been using those for years they work well for a short time you'll have to change them out about once a year,i personally prefer the round style over the rectangular they provide far better vision.The best position for them is out as far away from the vehicle and as low as possible for proper fitment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ABerns
Apparently most people set their side mirrors up incorrectly. Are you setting them up like recommended here:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/

I'll have to take a look at that particular set of recommendations, but I have reviewed other recommendations and set them accordingly.

My mirrors are pushed out quite a bit and I don't see the sides of my car at all unless I really lean one way or the other. I've got them set so that I can see vehicles coming up on my side in the mirror and as they disappear from the mirror they enter my view through the side windows. But it's not 100% perfect at a quick glance while you're trying to pay attention to what's in front of you.

Again, it's not a huge problem for me. I'm just looking to improve it.

Proper mirror adjustment, and those round stick on mirrors work extremely well at reducing blind spots. I have them on everything I own. Nothing can replace turning your head, and proper mirror adjustment, but those stick on round mirrors are worth their weight in gold. JMO

I use them on all our vehicles as well. You have to be careful with the ice scraper in the winter time or they will damage easily but for a few bucks it's well worth the extra visibility.

Originally Posted By: ABerns
Are you setting them up like recommended here:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/

Just read through this. That's essentially what I've done. But as you'll notice in Step 4, it says, "End result? No huge blind spots." I don't have any huge ones, I'm just trying to eliminate them entirely. Besides, all cars are different in terms of mirror placement and window size, and driver's are different in terms of seating position, etc.

Based on the feedback so far, I may run out this afternoon and see what the O'Reilly, Advance Auto, and AutoZone stores near me have and give something a try, mounting them in the outer/lower corner of my side-view mirrors.

I like the 2" round sticky mirrors. If you buy any other shape you get wierd optical distortions the brain has to compensate for while cars pass. With everyone running headlights you can easily keep track of passing cars even if they're ant-sized.

A flat (non-convex) driver's mirror is some federal "safety" requirement, as is, presumably, the "objects closer than they appear" disclaimer on passenger side ones.

Originally Posted By: dhise
I use them on all our vehicles as well. You have to be careful with the ice scraper in the winter time or they will damage easily but for a few bucks it's well worth the extra visibility.

Good point, something taken for granted. I've used these mirrors for decades and just go easy with the ice scraper. The best mirrors are the round ones. I use 2" on my Jeep and Aerostar, and IIRC 3" on the E-150.

Like others I use the small spot mirrors in everything I own for decades. They really reduce the blind spots and make things safer.

Here is a shot of one of the spots on the Outback.

mirror.jpg

Somewhere in Colorado going towards Kansas.

All of them are placed in the same spot. I've found it to be the best place for us.

Take care, Bill

I just picked up a two-pack of 2" round mirrors that look just like those. They only cost $3.50. I'm going to put them on tomorrow after I wash/wax the car. Thanks for everyone's input!

Originally Posted By: barlowc

Just read through this. That's essentially what I've done. But as you'll notice in Step 4, it says, "End result? No huge blind spots." I don't have any huge ones, I'm just trying to eliminate them entirely. Besides, all cars are different in terms of mirror placement and window size, and driver's are different in terms of seating position, etc.

Yep, I wondered if that wasn't the case - that you didn't have large blind spots, but wanted them gone entirely. I agree, each vehicle is different. I know some new SUVs and crossovers are coming with the extra blind spot mirrors, and it helps. I say go for it, and let us know how it turns out!

You have to learn to use those tiny stick on mirrors.
They shrink the image, so you have to concentrate on it for a time.

Another option is a wide view stick or clamp on mirror that goes on the interior mirror. Note that you see the whole interior with these - you have to get used to them.

I like the 3" mirrors better, but stick them in the same spot as Bill's pic.

Good video! Thanks for posting. The procedure is consistent with the link that ABerns posted.

I just finished putting 2" round mirrors on each of my side-view mirror. It'll be interesting to see what I think of them during my morning commute tomorrow.

I have some blind spot eliminator type mirrors built into my side mirrors on my Chevy Traverse.

I still head check, I guess it's either habit, or I just don't trust that they cover every possible area.

I get nervous if I can't see my own windows/car on the inside edge of the "large mirror". Those techniques to leave mirrors "toed out" leave me without a frame of reference. To each his own I guess. IOW I'm set up like Bill's pic.

If there's some guy behind me pulling out, I'm more likely to catch his blinker as it appears behind my rear bumper... if I can see my own car back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back