German Castrol 0w30 in small engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running 0w30 German Castrol in my Toro Lawn Mower and it seem to work well. Can I use German Castrol in all my small engines? I have a 7HP or 9HP Honda Pressure Washer, a 3.5HP Briggs and Stratton lawn edger which is pretty old(12 years or so). Can I use it in the brass pumppart of the pressure washer also or doI need the special oil for that? Thanks!

I don't know about others here but if its got a small 4cycle engine in my garage it gets GC.My 13hp snowblower starts first time at 0f degrees pull or electric and runs like new,same with lawnmower,power washer and generator.I ran the generator 10 days 24 hrs a day during a extremely cold winter blackout and the valve adjustment was still in spec and shows no sign of wear from that long hard run with seemingly zero oil consumption according to the stick(i did change it at 100 hrs).The oil still looked pretty clean with no metal particles in the filter.IMO you cant do much better than GC in these little engines.

I wouldn't use it in the pressure washer pump,some of the seals may not like the additive package of engine oil.Lowes has a small bottle of pump oil for a few bucks that works fine.

Good to know, it will be replacing the Mobil 1 0W30 that was given to me for my snow blower. GC will be the new oil for my blower for now on.

GC is an excellent choice for OPE in all but the hottest temps.
thumbsup2.gif

The only thing I wish it had is an HDEO add-pack ... but that's a "nice-to-have" and not a necessity in most applications.

No, I would not use it in the actual pump housing. The unit probably calls for a pump oil without detergents to minimize foaming. Consult the manual and/or the manufacturer.

GC is SL rated so i'm thinking it has a robust add pack,the viscosity is close to a 40 weight at higher temps so it would be ideal even in the hottest climates.
Maybe someone who knows the detailed specs can chime in.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
What does OPE stand for again?

Outdoor Power Equipment

I use GC in OPE that needs to be operated during winter, such as my Honda snowblower. Other stuff, like the lawn mower that does not see very low starting temps just gets straight 30 oil (PYB).

Ok Then! I'll use it in all my small engines. Are there any engine that may not like the GC? Thanks everyone!

Ok Then! I'll use it in all my small engines. Are there any engine that may not like the GC? Thanks everyone!

Just don't use it in the pressure washer pump. Use an oil made for them (CAT has a great oil), the add packs in automotive oil are not good for the internals of the pump.

You mentioned in a previous post that the Briggs 3.5 had been a little neglected, it may consume some GC at first, but it won't hurt to try it. YMMV

Dave

I was surprised to see that my mother's push mower (6.5hp tecumseh) did actually consume some GC over a summer's use. I switched her back to SAE30, which doesn't get consumed.

I do like using the GC for my snowblower.

Originally Posted By: gd9704
I was surprised to see that my mother's push mower (6.5hp tecumseh) did actually consume some GC over a summer's use. I switched her back to SAE30, which doesn't get consumed.

I do like using the GC for my snowblower.

its tuff to beat the pennzoil straight 30 weight in the B&S motor`s.

Originally Posted By: Deltona_Dave

Just don't use it in the pressure washer pump. Use an oil made for them (CAT has a great oil), the add packs in automotive oil are not good for the internals of the pump.

You mentioned in a previous post that the Briggs 3.5 had been a little neglected, it may consume some GC at first, but it won't hurt to try it. YMMV

Dave

If it burns oil at first , will it stop as it adjusts?

Why anyone would put 0W-30 weight oil in outdoor power equipment designed for warm weather use is beyond me.
In a snowblower or generator outside in sub freezing temperatures, sure it makes sense. But in a lawn mower or tiller? Come on.

Originally Posted By: bigbird_1
Why anyone would put 0W-30 weight oil in outdoor power equipment designed for warm weather use is beyond me.
In a snowblower or generator outside in sub freezing temperatures, sure it makes sense. But in a lawn mower or tiller? Come on.

Because German Castrol 0w30 is thicker then other 30wt oils. It also has been proven to protect better then most.

Originally Posted By: bigbird_1

Because German Castrol 0w30 is thicker then other 30wt oils. It also has been proven to protect better then most.

Thicker than other oils?
Can you explain that?
The oil's flow rate is measured in Saybolt Universal Seconds. Any 30wt oil takes 30 Saybolt Universal Seconds to flow through the test apparatus. Are you saying GC 0W-30 flows through slower?

"Why anyone would put 0W-30 weight oil in outdoor power equipment designed for warm weather use is beyond me."

I probably wouldn't go with a 0W-30 in something I would use in warm weather ... but then again, I usually use conventional oils in warm weather ... especially in OPE. 10W-30 is theoretically more shear stable.

Anyone see any UOAs of GC after it's been really pushed hard in warm weather? How shear resistant is this oil?

I rarely use straight grades as I find pull starting them in anything under 70F a bit of a chore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back