What DMO does the Military use??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: y2k345
What DMO the military use in their diesels

I was in the Army from 1996-2007 and (mostly) in the Army environment we used watever 15W40 came in bulk. Biggest mistake I saw for years was use of that oil in 2 stroke detroits, which as most know, is not kosher. Occasionally on exercises, I saw 10W30 diesel oil, often from whichever source was easiest/cheapest.
Up north (farther than me), synthetics are often used, whether they are 0W40 or 5W40. Brand usually does not matter, it's lowest bidder, again.
I'm in the Air Environment now, in an Electrical Power Generation shop, and we use Rotella 15W40 in all our generators as they are stored in heated rooms, (except for our 92 series detroits which get straight 40 weight).
I've seen T6 in a number of places here on base. I suspect they are starting to favour it in place of conventional 15W40 due to the low temps we see in the Cold Lake area.

Last edited:
I am sure the lowest bidder .The last time I was on base "Coastguard with the Boy Scouts 2007" They were using Rotella 15w40 in their boats that used HDEOs

It depends, in CONUS they can purchase any kind they like. We carry lube oil in the stock system. It is ordered by NSN and MIL spec. Since the DOD has its own stock of oil there is no worries of a break in the supply chain and it can be positioned as needed throughout the world.

All of the bulk lube oil is re-refined minimum spec as mentioned previously.

http://www.dscr.dla.mil/userweb/dscrld/re-refined/RR.htm

In XS650 link note Safety-kleen as a supplier = re-refined. They also buy the used oil back and re-refine it again thus making it as cheap as possble.

Depending on the type of equipment and amount of oil needed it is only going to see oil from the stock system.

http://www.dscr.dla.mil/userweb/aviationsupplier/commodities/pdf/rerefined_motor_oil_brochure.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
The U.S. military burns up equipment like no tomorrow

after all the tax payers are footing the bill

they use jet av fuel in place of diesel

Originally Posted By: badnews
The U.S. military burns up equipment like no tomorrow

after all the tax payers are footing the bill

they use jet av fuel in place of diesel

Of course they do... it would be grossly stupid to do otherwise in their situation.

Supplying JP-8 for all vehicles is a gigantic logistical advantage- your tanks, HMMWVs, generators, trucks, etc... all use the same fuel, and the supply chain only has to supply that one type. Plus you don't end up with the situation where you have one type of fuel and another type of engine that doesn't run on it.

Nor do you have to engineer funky multi-fuel engines either- just use regular old diesels or turbines, and go on about your business.

Here is some insight

CombatTacticalLubes.jpg

Your ASSAULT RIFLE is made by the lowest bidder...what on EARTH makes you think your motor oil isn't?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KieferS
Your ASSAULT RIFLE is made by the lowest bidder...what on EARTH makes you think your motor oil isn't?

The lowest bidder that meets a big list of specs. MIL-PRF-2104 oil meets a big list of recent specs.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
They SHOULD have special injection pumps that are rated to run JP-8 or whatever they have available, I have a military surplus 24V one for my 6.2 GMC.
JP-8 is one of the recomended fuels for my old Cummins.

Most modern military applications have shifted to 15w40, mostly for logistical reasons.

I know sometimes using one oil for everything will cause problems, but it's cheaper than having 6 different oils, and needing a fuel-fired coolant/oil-pan heater to start the truck that has 30w in 30degree weather.

That straight-grade oil and that nifty heater are why M35A2 2-1/2ton trucks have oil filters that drain back into the pan. ~15 seconds of 0-psi on startup until the filters fill. I joke that the military 'designed them to startup without oil' by removing a zero or two from the MTBF. Feel free to cringe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back