BG Universal Synthetic vs. ATF Z1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking to get some opinions. My shop uses the BG synthetic ATF and the rep swears by it, shows us the chart every time. It says it meets or exceeds the honda ATF Z1 requirements, i'm just looking to see if you guys think it will do a better job making the transmission last longer, shift quality, etc.

Last edited:
These cars seem to be fairly susceptible to torque converter shudder as well. Do you think using the BG fluid would reduce shudder more so than the factory fluid? they also make anti shudder additives that seem to work very well (BG). I have already had the fluid changed once by the dealer at 40k miles because of t/c shudder when cold. That has fixed the problem (for now). I'm just wondering if i should bother putting the honda fluid back in or not.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Just curious, how do the two fluids compare in price?

I just looked up their products, I couldn't find anything for sale online. Have to find a distributor in your area and call.

Best to run the OEM spec Z1 in a Honda. Change it out at 30k,next time. .02.

Originally Posted By: mattd
These cars seem to be fairly susceptible to torque converter shudder as well. Do you think using the BG fluid would reduce shudder more so than the factory fluid? they also make anti shudder additives that seem to work very well (BG). I have already had the fluid changed once by the dealer at 40k miles because of t/c shudder when cold. That has fixed the problem (for now). I'm just wondering if i should bother putting the honda fluid back in or not.

Thanks for the reply.

When I worked at Mitsubishi, there were common problems with shift flare in the automatic transmissions. The BG Syn ATF always worked flawless in those situations. I don't know what kind of price they were charging you for it, but if it is close to the Honda , or if the AMSOIL is available, we have had very good results with both. I'm not an expert with Hondas, but I know that this box of BG Syn says right on it that it meets Honda specs.

We use it daily in our shop and i also know it meets the honda specs. I can get a cube of it for about 70$ (10 qt). ATF Z1 is 9.xx at the dealer. I am tempted to give the BG a try, but am curious if it will do more harm than good in this car.

Last edited:
Has anyone else used the BG fluid in a late model honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back