stale fuel in a fuel injected motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know when I go to buy a carbureted bike that has sat, as most bikes do, that the first thing I will need to do is disassemble and clean all the internals of the carb.

What do you do with a FI that has sat untreated for years with old, stale gas in the system?

FWIW, my Dad has a 65 Mustang that hasn't left the driveway in over 5 years. Sometimes he will start it and while it runs fine, it will die if you let off the gas at low speeds. This, compared to a sports bike that has old fuel with ride just fine until you nail it, then it will spit and sputter.

I have purchased a couple motorcycles that seemed to have a lot of sitting time (very low miles). I normally just run the first tank or two with Seafoam in it -- doesn't hurt the injectors. I suppose if you prefer you can run something with PEA in it.

Vic

One strong does of PEA into the fuel tank, top up with the highest possible Octane pump gas and then run it close to empty before re-filling again.

So long as the gas still retains some of the aromatic hydrocarbons w/ enough octane to be burned w/o causing any drivability issues, the addition of PEA-based FI cleaner into the gas (top up with highest octane pump gas avail) shall get it going.

If, the gas is really, really stale, consider arranging for a complete draining and then refuel with good quality gasoline (doesn't matter about the octane in this case, so long as it meets/exceeds the bare min. the vehicle manufacturer recommends) and then add a bottle of PEA-based FI cleaner and then drive.

Q.

My daughter was given a 91 Lumina that sat for 2 years. It failed an e-test, and I tried Techtron, ethanol, and everything I could and it kept failing. Finally had a injector cleaning done by the shop, and it past the e-test just barely. A few months later I had some problems and took the 6 injectors to my buddy's fuel injection business to get them checked. 2 of them failed and he was not able to ultra-sonically clean them, so he gave me two used ones had sitting around. Worked great after that...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back