Recommendation: Ford 8N tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crw

Ford 8N, 1951 vintage... Not exactly a passenger car, but I don't know where else to put it. It's a four cylinder flathead.

It's about due for an oil change. I say so because "it's been a while".

The tractor sits, a lot. It gets used maybe 20 times a year, and starts right up when I need it. It does get started in the dead of winter right after a big snowstorm, and that's my biggest concern. I'd say that it could be called upon up to 0 degrees F, any lower than that and I'm not really interested in getting out there.

What say ye?

Any tips on maintaining the battery would also be appreciated. It's a 6V battery, and while I have an old charger with a 6V mode, it does not "trickle-charge" in that mode.

Thanks for the battery tender link. I just might need to do that.

As for the oil, I was also thinking 15w-40, but the cold weather starts concern me. Last time I did 5w-30 (I think) so maybe that is OK.

I own 4 N series tractors. One is a working tractor and 3 are show tractors. All were restored or rebuilt by me; one was brought home in parts.

I only use Rotella 15W40 in them. My 6v "work" tractor always starts, even in sub-zero weather. It's started at -20 in years past without a problem. I change the oil 3 times a year in all 4 tractors (fall, mid winter and late spring).

Keep in mind that the N series tractors are overcooled and it's hard to get them up to temperature in the winter or even in the summer unless you work them extremely hard. It's not unusual to see the oil looking like a milkshake about mid-winter because of the condensation and the inability to get hot enough to burn it off.

I like the Baldwin filters because they have the little grab hook on the top that makes it easy to remove the filter from the canister.

Autolite #437 plugs work the best in these engines. The N's tend to be sensitive to unleaded fuel contaminating the plugs-if it's been a while since you've changed them out now is a good time. Make sure you keep it tuned up and be sure all your electrical connections are clean, bright and tight.

Using it 20 times a year is more than once a month and it shouldn't need a battery tender unless you have a problem with the generator. My show tractors often sit for 2-3 months and start right up without a problem, even in winter cold. If you do feel the need for a battery tender I'm sure they're available from places like Amazon.com. I've had the best results from Interstate batteries in my N's.

Thanks Pop! I already stock the Rotella 15w-40 for the BMW 2002 and the VW... so I might just use that one. I've found Rotella to be a good oil, as far as I can tell.

This site listed some interesting ideas about the oil and other maintenance items on the 8N:

myfordtractors.com

Sounds like a 10W- or 5W-30 would be a good choice. Or SAE 10 or 20 if you really want to follow the original specs. If you can get an SL or SG rated product with a high TBN, like an HDEO, that would probably serve you well. Is there an API SL Rotella T5 5W-30? If you want to spend more money, Rotella T6 or another synthetic HDEO 5W-40 would probably do well also. These tractors have no oil filters or screens IIRC, and cleaning the crud out of the oil pan might not be a bad idea one time.

That site also has a lot of good information about maintenance on these tractors. Hopefully you'll find what you need and learn some useful stuff. Let us know what you wind up doing.

Good luck!

John

My 8N also gets HDEO 15W-40. I may go with the Rotella 5W-40 for it the next time around, but really, 15W-40 does great in it. Pop_Rivit posted some very good info, btw, so remember to take his advice into consideration.

This tractor has an oil filter. Perhaps some earlier models don't... I probably ought to change that as well, like I say it's been a while.

I've never seen dino Rotella in a weight other than 15w-40, and synth Rotella is 5w-40.

There is a 10W-30 version of it (conventional), but I haven't ever seen it on shelves, either. Maybe it'd be easier to find at a Co-Op or something.

15-40 is not ideal for winter, at all. Get a lower first number.
And using a battery tender is good for the life and performance of the battery.

I do not own any, but this advice is better than the guy who does.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
15-40 is not ideal for winter, at all. Get a lower first number.

That's a bad piece of advice for an N series tractor.

N's don't do well with a thinner oil on startup. They can easily loose prime because of the design of the pickup tube and the oil pump. Straight weights (20W or 30W) don't cause the issue, nor do heavier multi grade weights.

That observation comes from not only me, but the late Palmer Fossum (a good friend) who had around 80 Ford N's in his 100 tractor collection, most of which he restored himself.

I've started mine with the original 6 volt electrical system to plow my driveway at -20 many times (with 15W-40 in the crankcase) and never had an issue.

Pop-
George Burns smoked 5 cigars a day , and drank martinis every day of his life.
He lived to be 100+ years old.

That must be what we should do to attain old age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back