Loctite Threadlocker for Bearing Race?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to secure a bearing race which has lost most of its interference fit in an aluminum housing. I have purchased Loctite 640 retaining compound & primer which will do the job but it will make removal next to impossible. I wonder if I can't use regular blue medium strength Loctite threadlocker to secure the bearing race? It won't take much to hold it in place and it will be relatively easy to remove.

What do you think? Thanks.

I thought I could hold a pulley on a motor shaft (rototiller) with blue loctite, having stripped the little lock screw.

Nope, it didn't work, and it was hilarious when it let go.

You need to use the high-strength locktite. The blue stuff won't do any good in this application. I'm not familiar with 640, but if it's the green stuff like 680 or 609, then that's what you want to use.

As for removal, it's a non-issue. First of all, if everything is set up correctly- you shouldn't have to remove that race for a long time. Secondly, if you do need to remove the race- just heat it up with a torch and melt the locktite. No big deal.

An old farmer's trick for this situation is to "stake" the area where the race presses in. Basically, you nick the bore uniformly all the way around with a punch or something before you drive the race in. This will help to retain and center the race until the locktite hardens.

It's ugly and crude, but effective.

By manufacturers' standards, I've no doubt that said farmer's trick IS unacceptable. And I imagine that installing a bearing race into a hub using locktite en lieu of a proper press fit would be too.

But whether or not it'll work... that's another question entirely.

This gearbox has already been replaced under warranty so I am trying to get it fixed to the point it will be a reliable spare. Also, the new box howls like the old one. I think I discovered what was wrong in the old box and just want to run it long enough to find out if I fixed the core problem. If I did, I will fix the new box the same way BEFORE the bearing races spinout.

I found a Porsche forum where the subject of loose races in aluminum transmission housings is a major topic. Many have used Loctite retaining compound with excellent results. One guy said he couldn't remove the Loctited races with a 30T press. Others frown upon it as being purely shadetree and unacceptable.

There are so many Loctite compounds that it makes your head spin but they all depend on the same chemistry. I could use the blue medium strength which would be easily removable but may not be strong enough. From what I have read, the permanent compounds are easily removed with heat. The stronger compounds also have the higher temperature ratings. For example, the 640 that I am getting is good for 400F. This means I will have to heat it to 450-500F to remove it.

I don't think its shade tree at all. This manufacturer uses it OEM to save machining cost,granted not high end machinery but it apparently works fine.

http://www.loctiteusers.com/retaining/loctite%C2%AE-660-retains-bearing-to-gear-housing-reliably-2/

I just caught that now after you said gearbox.Loctite claims 100% strength after 1000hrs in motor oil but your right i would probably be worried about it even it it did hold.
Maybe machining it out and a pressing a bushing in then press the bearing into that would give more peace of mind.

I've made this sort of repair plenty of times. It wouldn't bother me a bit, but I prefer loctite 680, 609, or the like.

It depends on how loose it is.
Lots of on/off hammering in a manual trans!
It is not just if the material is compromised by oils, or if it remains secure. It is the actual strength of the compound that has me worried. It is no where near the strength of metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back