Redline SI-1 treatment...now my engine pings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completed a full run of Redline SI-1 in my '99 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor and changed the oil, beginning a rinse phase of Auto-RX. Prior to the Redline SI-1 run, the engine would not ping under WOT with 87 octane. Then after the treatment and oil change, it would ping under heavy load. I switched to 89 octane for about 5 tanks, which fixed the problem. I decided to switch back to 87 octane gas, and the pinging is happening again, slightly more frequently under lower loads.

Does the Redline SI-1 treatment have anything to do with the pinging, or is it coincidence? Does the Auto-Rx maybe have something to do with it?

If you know what the procedure is, test your knock sensors. If you've had a knock sensor go out then the ECU wouldn't retard the timing to stop the pinging (which it might have been before). Sometimes the test is as simple as tapping the head with a wrench and listening for a stumble in the idle.

What fuel grade does the PI call for? Does it call for 87 or allow "as low as" 87?

It might be related to the SI-1 but my first reaction would be to run it again, not avoid it forevermore. Perhaps it only partially cleaned some carbon in a sensitive spot. It's a solid product.

Last edited:
After a little reading it seems like the CVPI did not get knock sensors until '03, so mine doesn't have one, nothing to test.

The engine was specifically designed for 87 octane.

Like you, I am suspecting that the Redline cleaned up some carbon deposits, but there were still some left in the combustion chamber that might now be causing the intermittent pinging at heavy load.

However, I thought that perhaps the rinse phase of Auto-Rx might have something to do with it (increased compression due to better piston ring seating?)

At my next OCI I intended to run another bottle of SI-1 and replace a quart of oil with MMO to see if the MMO can get rid of any additional coking/sludge, etc. Not interested in paying for another bottle of Auto-Rx if I can help it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChuckBerry
After a little reading it seems like the CVPI did not get knock sensors until '03, so mine doesn't have one, nothing to test.

The engine was specifically designed for 87 octane.

Like you, I am suspecting that the Redline cleaned up some carbon deposits, but there were still some left in the combustion chamber that might now be causing the intermittent pinging at heavy load.

However, I thought that perhaps the rinse phase of Auto-Rx might have something to do with it (increased compression due to better piston ring seating?)

At my next OCI I intended to run another bottle of SI-1 and replace a quart of oil with MMO to see if the MMO can get rid of any additional coking/sludge, etc. Not interested in paying for another bottle of Auto-Rx if I can help it.

If it were my ride, I'd run the SI-1 now - not wait. Something significant changed, so... At the very least, make sure you run a grade which doesn't knock in the mean time.

I think some of the cleaners like SI-1 have a bit of a "soak factor". Some of the detergent may have worked into carbon and softened it a certain extent. If you wait 5k miles before hitting it again, it'll be back like before. I wouldn't worry about the trace of SI-1 in the oil (compared to a dramatic increase in detonation) unless you're doing a really long rinse OC.

Keep us updated....

Last edited:
Mind you, the ping is not bad, and the owners manual specifically says that light knocking under heavy load is nothing to be concerned about...

Do not be concerned if your engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if it knocks heavily under most driving conditions while you are using fuel with the recommended octane rating, see your dealer or a qualified service technician to prevent any engine damage.

21.gif

Just a thought, it is possible your pinging could be a result of winter blended fuel. Is that something that is now being pumped in your area. My Aerostar never pings, the other night I got on it a little and could hear very slight pinging during rapid acceleration to merge onto the parkway. FWIW

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Just a thought, it is possible your pinging could be a result of winter blended fuel. Is that something that is now being pumped in your area. My Aerostar never pings, the other night I got on it a little and could hear very slight pinging during rapid acceleration to merge onto the parkway. FWIW

It's a good thought, but do they even do "winter fuel" in LA?

I doubt it's winter blend fuel...I live in southern Louisiana.

Do you know for sure they don't alter the fuel in the south during the winter months? I'm just tossing it out there.

Just a thought, and might be something worth looking into. Hard for me to imagine your climate.
smile.gif

I can't wait to see a new topic posted any day now with the provocative title:-

"I used Techron and my wife ran away"

And rest us will ask him, "where can I buy that Techron??"

:)
- Vikas

I completed a full run of Redline SI-1 in my '99 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor and changed the oil, beginning a rinse phase of Auto-RX. Prior to the Redline SI-1 run, the engine would not ping under WOT with 87 octane. Then after the treatment and oil change, it would ping under heavy load. I switched to 89 octane for about 5 tanks, which fixed the problem. I decided to switch back to 87 octane gas, and the pinging is happening again, slightly more frequently under lower loads.

Does the Redline SI-1 treatment have anything to do with the pinging, or is it coincidence? Does the Auto-Rx maybe have something to do with it?

I would take out the plug and check, if it is ok then put shock dose of si-1 again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back