1996 Nissan 300ZX. Royal Purple 20W50,3200 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here`s my very first UOA. 1996 Nissan 300ZX with 65,000 miles when UOA was done. Oil was Royal Purple 20W50 and a Wix oil filter. Miles on oil,around 3200 and 3-4 months in use.
wc1jqg.jpg

Last edited:
I feel like I tooootally wasted a good sump full of oil :^P I think I need to get rid of my old school 3/3000 ways,huh! During that oci,I did short trips back and forth to work every day (probably less than 5 miles both ways),did a TON of "drive it like I stole it" runs,and several highway trips up and down I-35 at 80+ mph (you`ll get run over going any slower). I never ever abuse my car,but I drive it the way it`s meant to be driven.

A short run, but iron and lead look really good.
Maybe RP is not as bad as some make it out to be?

yup, essentially no wear metals to speak of. Was this engine also babied with mellow driving during this interval?

Anyways, I'm a believer that you can't ask for much more than moly, zinc, and sufficient viscosity (and maybe boron too); the holy grail of reducing engine wear. This oil has 3 of these in good amounts.

Last edited:
Looks great! Yes, too short a run.. but hey.. it's your baby so we understand.
grin.gif

I suspect you could run 7-8k no problem with that oil.

I like the Royal Purple but do you think you could drop down to a 10W30 RP and get just as good of wear numbers plus a little more MPG and HP?

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
I like the Royal Purple but do you think you could drop down to a 10W30 RP and get just as good of wear numbers plus a little more MPG and HP?

Or even a 40 weight!

Lots of the 300zx guys run 20W-50 and always get great results. I am like you, I'd think a 40 weight would be PLENTY, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I would run the oil 2-3 times as long, though. So, yes, time to get rid of your 3/3000 habit :-D

NICE UOA.

Nice run. What is the oem spec weight oil for you car? I don't even run 20-50 in my bikes.

There is no advantage using syn with your short oil change intervals. Why do you believe all the hype you read about syn oil except the most important thing,,,It lasts way longer than the 1960s dino oil that everybody thinks is still being sold today.

That is a very good report with minimal to no wear at all. Nothing there but good news. While yes you did a short OCI you also stated most of your driving is short city trips with occassional spirited highway runs. That can beat an oil down real quick.

I think checking it when you did to see how it was doing was a good idea. Next time run it out to say 7500 and then check it. Use a good filter too( try the RP filter ). Do a TBN next time as well.

I am about 1500 miles away from my 2nd UOA in my 08 Ram 5.7L. I am expecting a much improved report over the 1st one that was not so great. The engine was still breaking in though so it should show a big improvement this run.

Congrat's again on the good report.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Nice run. What is the oem spec weight oil for you car? I don't even run 20-50 in my bikes.

I had a 92 Sentra. 5w-30 is prefered for all temps, and all grades except 5w-20 are spec'd for certain ambient temp ranges.

I second two previous opinions... too thick (try a 5W30) and too short and OCI (try 5K next tiem no matter which oil you use; if OK in your driving situation, go to 7.5K).

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I second two previous opinions... too thick (try a 5W30) and too short and OCI (try 5K next tiem no matter which oil you use; if OK in your driving situation, go to 7.5K).

Haha! Yeah,my 20W50 day are over :^P I have 4 oci`s worth of oil in my stash,2 RP 10W40,1 M1 10W40HM,and 1 Havoline 10W40. My car picked up a TON of responsiveness when I switched to the 10W40. Here`s the oil chart sticker that`s under the hood of these cars:
25f7qyx.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Haha! Yeah,my 20W50 day are over :^P

I don't know why you're saying that. With wear numbers that low, I'd say the engine is doing VERY WELL with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back