Looking to buy Diesel turck what kind???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do urself a favor and stick with the cummins and dodge. The older powerstrokes are good motors but stay away from the newer 6.0 powerstroke. I wouldn't own a chevy diesel. The duramax may be better than the old ones but they are not really proven yet...

Well I got it.
I picked up a 1984 Chevy 6.2L suburban 2x4.
Only thing is it dosen't have enough power to tow a 6,000lb trailer 75mph on level ground. And for get about hills.
Other then that, it's good.
I like burning Vegetable oil, used motor oil, old Hydraulic fluid and used AFT in my truck.
It gets 23MPG on the high way and 15MPG towing the 3 ton trailer.
It gets tons better milage then gas trucks and better milage then most new diesel trucks.

I dont know how i is for the various I6 and v8 truck diesels, but watch the turbo drain seals... on my MB diesel, this was the only location that I had an issue, and even after replacing them twice, they still weeped slightly.

JMH

Oh... I didn't know that's what you wanted the truck for. That's not a bad idea. I wouldn't run all that stuff in a newer truck but I sure would in an old one like that. Keep us posted how that thing does on alternative fuels. Cool!!!

NOT sure about the other 2, but I know the allison tranny on the chevy needs to have fluid dropped every 25k, which means half that for those around here.

quote:

Originally posted by BadBob:
"The older Diesel trucks got form 18 to as high as 21mpg.
An old 6.2 suburan got the best out of them all."

At one point the 2wd Blazers with the 6.2 were rated at 30 mpg.

My 6.2s have all lasted excellently, even the '82. It was still running strong at 250k until my EX drove it down the interstate at 85 mph for 120 miles. 4.56s and no overdrive aren't compatable

a perusal of fueleconomy.gov says that 30mpg from a 6.2 is pure fiction. 2wd suburbans were 23 hwy. The liklihood that a Blazer is small enough over a 'burban to increase mpg by 7 seems like a stretch to me.

A mechanical Cummins will burn just about anything, as will the 6.9 and IDI/IDIT 7.3’s. The 7.3 PowerStrokes will burn any industrial fuel, but it’s hard on the injectors with Jet-A, etc. The new DPF and oxidation catalysts with egr, etc. are a maintenance nightmare. At work we’ve been running CAT/DPF mufflers for about 7 years now. A muffler assembly costs about 12-15,000 dollars. Many models of EPA Tier II emissions will have active emissions controls. The ecm will add another fuel injection after the main event is done when it needs to heat up the CAT/DPF to help burn it clean. The new B Cummins will have throttle plates like the 6.0 PSD to help the cooled EGR system. These new engines are larger, yet they only produce the same power as older versions and have worse fuel mileage. What we are seeing in diesels now is like what happened to the first emissions gas engines when you had to buy a big-block to get small block power and they still didn’t work well. Oh well, more stuff to go wrong and unreliable engines just creates more security in my industry
grin.gif

I think those 30mpg blazer 6.2L's were all turbo retro fits. Banks I'm guessing.
My big *** suburban gets about 25mpg high way. Now if I had a turbo, weighed about 1000 pounds less and had a standard trans I think I could all most get 30mpg.
I know I will get at least that now. I started doing propane. My truck any way.
I think I will get at least 35 to 40mpg with diesel and about 30 or 40 mpg with propane.
With propane I can ride at about 60mph at like 1/10 throttle. I hardly touch the petal and with propane I keep up with trafic.
I try using it a full throttle but at higher RPM's but I think the propane is like a **** in the wind.
I altered the air filter housing to take a +2 inch taller filter and installed a cold air/ram air intake.
It totaly changed my smoke thresh hold, and now my truck dosen't hardly smoke at full load.
The only way for my truck to see full power now is to ajust the IP or add propane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back