8.1 Vortec 2006 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone by chance know what the horsepower rating is on the 8.1 liter Vortec in the 2006 3/4 ton Suburban? I'm considering getting one I spotted in Auto Trader. How would the 8.1 Vortec in 2006 stack up in comparison to the 6.0 they are putting in the new Suburbans. I know the 2010 & 2011 6.0 Vortec is rated at 352 horsepower. Also I notice they aren't putting in 8.1 Vortec in the new Suburbans.
Thank you

According to Wikipedia the Vortec 8100 in the GMT-800 Suburban was:

Vortec 8100 496 cu in V8 (325 hp at 4200 rpm and 447 ft·lbf (606 N·m) of torque at 3200 rpm)

Last edited:
The 8.1l was a good motor but did come with its caveats.

Google "Vortec 8.1 piston slap" and you'll see what I mean.

Personally, I would choose a Suburban with the 6.0l engine. A lot less complaints on that platform than the 8.1l engines. Just MHO.

Heard that the plugs on those 8.1s like to get fouled up as well. Also, gas hog xD. But look at that TORQUE! Dayum!
grin.gif

Try asking on an RV site. Lots of the love for that motor there.
No more big blocks being produced by GM. What are doing with it?
If you are towing the 8.1 is the way to go.

I spend a lot of time on the Trailer Life forum and those that have 8.1L Suburban's typically love them. Lots of torque and higher rated towing capacity than the new Suburban's. The other issue with the newer Suburban's (2007+) is the hitch is limited to 1000 lbs of tounge weight and is not replaceable like the older Suburbans. However, the newest 2500 Suburban's with the 6.0L and 6-speed auto (2008+) do tow pretty nice from what I hear. Not quite as much thrust as the 8.1L but pretty adequate. The newest ones get much better fuel economy as well if they have the 6-speed (talking about 2500's here). Empty you are more likely to run between 12-17 mpg versus 10-13 mpg with an 8.1L.

The two 8.1L i have been around got better mileage doing the same work as their 6.0L cousins. Mainly utility/service trucks that haul tools.

the 8.1L seemed to do the job more efortlessly than the smaller 6.0l

2006 Suburban 2500 versions could be equipped with either a 6.0-liter V8 rated at 335 hp and 375 lb-ft of torque or an 8.1-liter V8 that produced slightly less horsepower (325) but a lot more torque at 447 lb-ft of torque. A four-speed automatic was standard on all Suburbans. Equipped with the 6.0-liter engine, the Suburban could tow up to 9,900 pounds, while the 8.1-liter engine could pull up to 12,000 pounds when properly equipped.

FWIW you can't get a replacement Radiator for a 8.1L in a Suburban. We have tried but no luck.........Even GM can't get us one!

I've had 2 customers needing rads for thses trucks and I can't help them.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
FWIW you can't get a replacement Radiator for a 8.1L in a Suburban. We have tried but no luck.........Even GM can't get us one!

I list 3 different radiators for this application, pm me a VIN and I'll try to ;ocate one for you.

Thanks all for the advice.
I did decide to stick to finding a 6.0 or maybe a 6.2 on the Denali XL. It will be a vehicle for towing a Camper trailer.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

Rockauto lists a couple for that application (and shows the app is common across the Silverado HD's avalanches, and Suburbans of the era). Prices aren't real pretty (over $600 on two of them...) but if it works...

Have one made. Try Ron Davis radiators.

Would probably be leaps and bounds better then a factory piece.

BIG-BLOCK-CHEVY.....there is no substitute!

(Images of a 427-powered Camaro smoking the tires down the 1/4 miles dance in head.......)

laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back