New Engine Break In - When Will Gas MPG Increase ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 Hyundai Elantra with Beta 2.0 4 cylinder engine and 2200 miles . Since new the car was driven by the book (below 4K RPM's , below 60 MPH , using Tier 1 gas , etc.) for break in up to 1500 miles . The EPA estimates are 24 MPG for city and 35 MPG for highway for this Elantra. So far , I get no where near this MPG's on the highway (currently around 28 MPG) and in normal city driving I get around 23 MPG . I will add I drive it smooth and more often than not stay within the "Economy On' dashboard light (shows you are driving to conserve gas) . The engine is very smooth , the car drives great and no problems to report - except concern for low gas mileage . My questions are : Will the gas mileage improve ? Anything I can do differently ?

I think by now your engine is broken in, in terms of mileage anyways. Sounds like you are doing the right things but there are many factors in getting good mileage. Cutting out idling is an easy one and try to drive like your brakes are bad as getting off the throttle and coasting has a big effect on mileage.

How fast do you drive on the highway? I'm pretty sure the epa number comes from slow speeds on the highway. I think its an average of about 48mph or something. Unless you drive that slow on the highway you probably wont see the same numbers. City driving you should be able to get close.

My Hyundai started to improve mpg's at the 4-5k mark. The gas quality, winter/summer, has an effect here, don't know if you have that issue in GA. No difference in mpg between M1 0w30 and RP 5w20. My car is rated 26/35, and at first I got the 26 city, which has improved to 29. Have yet to break the 35 mpg mark. My last tank was 80% hwy, and I only got 32.5 mpg. Was hoping for more, but with 70 mph/3k rpm on hwy & winter gas, I guess it will have to do for now. Maybe next spring it will improve some.

jringo

I don't know about your specific car, but my neighbor's Nissan Versa didn't see the rated MPG until about 10k miles were on the clock. It now continues to get the reported MPG.

You could try some hyper-miler techniques but that is a whole different forum.

One thing I would have done is vary your rpms during the break-in period. Hence not driving smooth and in economy mode yet until the break-in period with the varied rpms being done.

Some car enthusiasts in here might know will know what I am talking about. Hopefully a car expert could elaborate on this.
smile.gif

I got the manufactuers mpg after 10,000-15,0000 miles.

Last edited:
FWIW my '07 4Runner V6 didn't get good mpg until 8k-10k on the odo. I was shocked at how long it took. Every other vehicle I had ranged from 2k-5k.

I'd say follow the "drive easy" suggestions and the TP suggestions and then just be patient.

Are you a member at an Elantra message board? I'll bet they'd have a better idea if your Elantra is behaving normally or abnormally...

As an add on , I varied the RPM's during the break in but kept it under 4K RPM's , I changed the factory fill oil out at 1200 miles and now use Kendall syn blend , highway speeds are not 48MPH (that would get you turned into road kill around Atlanta ) - highway speeds are more like 60 ~ 65MPH , tires are over inflated by about 4 psi from what door tag recommends . I'll stay the course and see how she does over the next several thousand miles .

P.S. One school of thought to engine break in is to : "run it like you stole it ! " ...I followed the Hyundai manual instead - but who knows what's really best ? I error on the side of caution.

Mileage does seem low. I have the '04 flavor of your car with a slushbox that's rated 21/29, and I get between 32-35mpg at 75mph.

It's not just the engine, but all sorts of parts that need to wear and seat in.
Winter gas and gas with ethanol will kill mileage.
About 3% or so for ethanol, and 1+% for winter fuel.
There is a rather notable difference from 65 to 55 [they test at 55]. Throw in some normal 70-75 and you will lose even more.
With high MPG cars, this percent loss shows up in a number of miles per gallon.

My GMC Canyon didn't start getting it's optimal mpg until 8000 miles.

It was driven daily 25 mile round trips to work, averaging around 20 combined. I took it on it's first real trip at 8k miles on a 500 mile round trip all interstate.

Since then the combined mileage has been close to 25, with a high of 28 on long trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back