Snow Blowers-Deere v. Ariens v. Toro- Which One?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the heavy construction of the John Deere, but some have complained that the belt housing isn't well sealed, and melting snow can cause the belts to slip.

I have a Craftsman with the same Briggs OHV engine as the John Deere, and the engine is definitely a winner. The Craftsman doesn't feel as heavy duty as the Deere.

I ended up with a new John Deere 827 last January. The machine is well thought out and is serious about throwing snow. It has the Briggs engine. I went through the break-in routine with a couple of short interval changes. I obtained a case of Delo 0W30 HDEO synthetic. I am certain it will lead to easy starts even though my garage is unheated. Use it in my lawn tractor with a blade as well. The blower is well constructed and of real high quality. The unit is also priced at a point where the quality better be good.

I'd look at Toro or Ariens (depending on where in the Ariens line). A lot of the other brands are rebranded. Depending on the year you may be buying a total piece of junk, or it may be "OK". I'm not up to speed on whether Deeres are good at the moment, or not, or maybe only part of their lineup is.

If you look at Toro or Ariens, they are the actual constructors of the machine and make top shelf products.

Craftsman is all over the map and they rebrand a lot of different brands. Recommending a "Craftsman" is like recommending one with two wheels - who knows what it is.

Also, the engine is just about the LEAST important part of the machine when it comes to performance and longevity - don't get hung up on it while ignoring everything else about the machine's construction. As long as it starts, you're good, and any of the decent brands will.

I'm OK with different models/makers having a different spot on the quality spectrum but somehow these guys get away with selling junk for almost the same price as good equipment. I don't know just how they do it. Consumer ignorance, I guess?

Last edited:
Ariens, Toro, Honda,Simplicity, John Deere are all good brands.
It also boils down to local dealer support if that carries any weight but MOST Importantly, try them out and see what feels good in your hands or anybody else that may be using them. Some are easier to steer than others, but this boils down to personal preference.

First, buy from OPE Dealer if you can (no big box stores).

I bought an Ariens from Home Depot once and had to take it back due to incorrect assembly (something not easily fixable by me. When I took it back, they were out of blowers.

I have a Simplicity with 8.5HP B&S and 24" width; works very well for WI winters.

My neighbor has an Ariens 11HP(?) and 28" width - that thing easily beats any other blower in our neighborhood. Chews up ice and deep snow and throws it effortlessly!

Yeah not hugely impressed with our 26" Craftsman 2 stage. It has to be taken to Sears for warranty service this year- the wheel drive does not work! It's niot even 3 years old yet. Ugh.

I thought I read that John Deere are re-badged Ariens. I my self have a Ariens 11hp, with Tecumseh, its a snow throwing machine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone. I was up late trying to figure this out. I own a 22" -5Hp MTD 2-Stage, I have had it for 3 seasons and last year it was out matched by heavier snow we got, and of course none of my neighbors will lend a hand when they see me struggling, and I am tired of cleaning out the compacted snow.

timed my neighbor and I with identical driveways last year. It took him 25 minutes, me nearly an hour as I kept having to clear compacted snow out of the blower while holding a flashlight. Waste of money!

Last edited:
Oh, and again with the craftsman- I dunno who makes the physical machine, probably MTD, but the engines are by and large Chinese OHV motors. Not terrible, but definitely not as good as the real B&S, Honda, Tecumseh motors.

Originally Posted By: motorcity
I thought I read that John Deere are re-badged Ariens. I my self have a Ariens 11hp, with Tecumseh, its a snow throwing machine.

It might be, it might not be. It may have been, but is no longer. You need to find a table of models and years to know for sure what you're getting.

I'm not saying "Deere is [censored]", I'm saying that Deere is rebadged, and what they're rebadging seems to change all the time. I think I just read on another site dedicated to OPE that Murray is also rebadged and used to be [censored] but is now a great brand. The opposite was stated of Cub Cadet - used to be great but is now usually the worst of the worst.

Originally Posted By: typ901
Thanks for the help everyone. I was up late trying to figure this out. I own a 22" -5Hp MTD 2-Stage, I have had it for 3 seasons and last year it was out matched by heavier snow we got, and of course none of my neighbors will lend a hand when they see me struggling, and I am tired of cleaning out the compacted snow.

Google "Clarence Impeller Kit" (not clearance - CLARENCE) and install one. That will probably solve your chute plugging problems. I can't comment on any other faults of the MTD machine.

Last edited:
Anything I've read about JD snow throwers is that they've been made by Simplicity/Snapper the last few years. Other than the paint job and some minor changes, they're pretty much the same machines.

Simplicity were probably the best built domestic snow thrower up until Briggs and Stratton took them over around four years ago.

From what I've read, Simplicity's Wisconsin plant was shut down and production was moved to the Snapper plant in Georgia. B&S have begun their deconstructing process by building Simplicity/Snapper branded machines that are not nearly as robust as the units that came from the Wisconsin plant.

They're pretty much following suit with Ariens and Toro. Easy profits by building lesser quality machines and selling them for prices beyond their actual value simply because of the brand name.

I believe that Simplicity/Snapper Pro models are still built very ruggedly.

I saw at least one Snapper model that looked exactly like my 17 year old Noma built in Jackson Tennessee. Noma was purchased by Murray who was purchased by Briggs who also purchased Snapper.

The only real difference I saw was the OHV Briggs in place of the old Snow King and a different color paint. Kind of eerie.

The current John Deere walk behinds are Simplicity blowers with some minor ergonomic changes. In my opinion they are one of the best if not the best quality machine currently being made.
As others have mentioned, a good local dealer is a bonus, my local JD dealer is 2 miles down the road and have a knowledgeable parts and service staff, that alone is worth a lot.

That being said, all the machines the OP listed are good machines, but I think the newer Toro's look like they are cheapened up compared to a few years ago

A guy brought a [censored] snowblower over last year that kept packing up with snow. I adjusted the discharge direction to almost straight up and it solved his problem. I don't know why the discharge chute even has an adjustment to throw snow directly to the left or right. BTW, if a Craftsman (or any other) blower doesn't have a clear description of it's engine, i.e., ???cc OHV instead of Briggs, Honda or something name brand, run in the opposite direction.

I have a 10HP JD form about 1997. The thing is built like a tank. Other than a new set of shoes and oil/lube, I have done nothing to this machine.

Looks like I am going the route of getting a Toro. They started a financing special of 0% APR on 11/1 for 16 months. I looked at Ariens, but there APR is 23.9% with up to 10% additional depending on credit rating. I need to finance as I have some roof damage from wind storms and am awaiting the verdict from State Farm adjuster next week to see if they are going to pay and or how much, so my free cash is tied up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back