Safe Dino Oil Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in need of some advice on dino oil we run in our boosted(45psi) drag car. Our current set up requires that we run without a radiator due to space limitations and weight distribution. For cooling we have an external ice water tank in the rear of the car and cool the engine down between rounds with water and ice circulating through the motor. While this works very well, it does cause the oil to emulsify with condensation produced by running very cold water through the engine. We have been changing the oil every race due to this issue. I have successfully removed the water by draining the oil(which may only have 4 passes on it) and heating it to 220 degrees F and removing the water. Is this temperature acceptable for a dino oil or could it's properties be damaged from the heat?

220 degrees? I've seen the sump temp in my Toyota Corolla at 240 degrees after coming off the highway with the A/C on full blast in 95 degree weather.

220 is nothing - it's close to operating temp of most vehicles for oil temperature.

220 F is nothing. I ended up with 155C at the end of a race due to mud kicked up (blocking the radiator) by the front car who eventually got flagged for not pulling to the side, but the race ended with 155C at the filter (Group II oil that showed no signs of deterioration on the UAO that I ran to see that).

Below 300f is safe for a GPII {+ even better} I must ask what kind of car? The boost tells me scarey fast!!!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I wouldnt be running ice water thru a hot engine. Are the water jacket 1/2 fill of no jacketed block?

I was thinking the same thing! I've read on forums where people have crack heads/blocks by using the Prestone t-flush procedure on a hot engine.

2004 Mustang Cobra super street outlaw(28x10.5 tire) and 8.5" Outlaw. Runs 1/4 and 1/8th mile(depending on class) 43 lbs of boost with a Procharger F2. We run ice water at all times not just to cool it down. Engine temps never go over about 130 degrees. Engine is rebuilt about every 100 passes or so. Shift the motor (4.6 liter DOHC) @ 8500 rpm and go throught the traps @ 9300 rpm. 1/8th mile times are 5.16 @ 143 mph. 1/4 mile times are 7.81 @ 182 mph. Many cars in our class run ice water tanks as there is no room for a radiator due to the direct drive configuration of the blower off of the crankshaft. I have removed the water several times now by heating it to about the boiling point of water. Thanks for everyones input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back