2001 GMC Oil Filter????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use AC Delco PF61 oil filter from walmart for my 2001 GMC Sierra XCab Z71 Automatic with overdrive 5.3 V8. Ok it used to be PF59 for years and now I see PF61E and there is a slot for the PF61 but never any in stock. Its says the 61E is for something 300 transmisson I dunno what that means. Well this morning I get on AC website and put my truck in and it calles for a PF46 or PF46E. [censored] I have never put a PF46 on my truck. Does anyone know the correct filter for this truck? I went a head and bought the PF61E but maybe its not the correct one I dont know. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Would a SuperTech filter be sufficent from walmart if so what is the Number for it? I change may oil every 3,000 miles and use Valvoline Maxx Life 10w-30. Thanks!

Last edited:
PF61E is the Ecore version of the PF61. Both will fit your truck. The Ecore uses no metal inside the can, making them more environmentally friendly and low cost. The Supertech is the same basic design from the same supplier as the AC Delco PF61E.

The PF46 and the PF46E are shorter versions of the PF61 and PF61E respectively. They offer more clearance if needed. My 2006 like yours specifies the PF46, but there may be room for the PF61 (I've never tried one).

The ACDelco part # PF46 is the replacement for the larger PF59 oil filter. I know this because I had a 2002 GMC with the 5.3L that originally spec'd the PF59. I ran the PF46 model on it with no issues.

The "E" in the part number means that the oil filter is the Champ Labs Ecore design and the ones without the E are the classic design.

I use the pf61 on an 06 1500 and a 99 2500. The 06 calls for a pf46, 47, 52? cant remember, but use the larger 61 on both.

My Wal-Mart has both the PF47 AND PF47E. I also thought one was a e-core and one was classic but visual examination shows absolutely no difference. The plastic center tube is readily visible on both filters. The ACDelco web page does list them as 'Classic' and 'E-core". There must be more to the part number than meets the eye. There is a flag note in the application guide which showed one having a by-pass valve and one not having a by-pass valve. I didn't see any difference so without purchasing both to cut them open I'd guess it's a mystery.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FowVay
My Wal-Mart has both the PF47 AND PF47E. I also thought one was a e-core and one was classic but visual examination shows absolutely no difference.
Thank you...I thought it was just me. I did the same thing last week and could see no difference. I thought perhaps the one PF47 I found among all the PF47Es was mis-labelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back