Should I change it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 3700 miles on my current fill of PP. This is the first oil change after the factory fill. The reason I ask is that it is November. At my current rate, I will be due for an oil change in January. I really, really don't want to have to change my oil in the snow and ice. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I have about 3700 miles on my current fill of PP. This is the first oil change after the factory fill. The reason I ask is that it is November. At my current rate, I will be due for an oil change in January. I really, really don't want to have to change my oil in the snow and ice. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Know anyone with a heated garage?

Although I've only seen snow twice in my life (over 25 years), I probably won't have the BEST advice, but if I was in your situation, I'd have all the materials on-hand, keep watching the weather, and change it before a cold snap comes or before it gets TOO cold.

If you have to ask than change it. Personally, I have approximately over 2500 miles on my Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30. I am planning on going at least 10,000 miles on it. Hence through the winter.

I just use a sheet of cardboard to lie on, the only thing to remember is keep your oil your about to change in, inside at least. I've poured -15C oil into a warm engine and heard a few pops and creaks... Maybe not a problem but it seemed like a bad idea after I thought about it...

Dang, I thought I had it bad having to change mine in ~50 degree F. LOL j/k I just changed it this past weekend so I can now go to around May and avoid the possibly freezing winter temps.
smile.gif

Last edited:
3700 miles is nothing for that oil. There are lots of warm spells during the winter, and you can use one of those to change it if needed before spring.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
3700 miles is nothing for that oil. There are lots of warm spells during the winter, and you can use one of those to change it if needed before spring.

That is a good point Blue. We have lots of warm spells over the winter here in Eastern PA. But looking at where he is in NY,I wasnt too sure.

Pick a dry weekend. Cold isn't that big a deal for the reasons listed above. The engine should be warm anyway.

What is the OCI for this vehicle? 7500 miles? If you are paying for the so called benefits of syn, then you should run it 7,500 miles and not a mile less.

If its so good why not? So if you have 3700 miles then let us know how it went when you have put 3800 miles more on it.

There are thousands of these same engines doing the recommended OCI with normal 5w-20 oils. And they will last just as long as yours.

Keeping it real....
cheers3.gif

Bill

PS: Move one of the vehicles in the garage that we have seen in the photos and change it then.

Last edited:
change it now and give yourself piece of mind; the cost is negligible, although some will say you are dumping oil with a lot of life left in it, and not helping the environment by doing so.

like others have said, though, you may see some warmer days during the winter, and if you are set on changing it, wait till the end of november, at least. it should sill be warm enough. if you wait to change it during the winter just think how nice the hot oil will feel on your hands...mmmmm, hot oil.....

Wait until it is below 15'F. When you lay on your back your body heat won't be enough to melt the snow and you'll be suprisingly comfortable.

Do it when the car is warm though; metal and plastic get brittle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back