Throttle Body Cleaning Tips Requested

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stand corrected and indeed PCV and EVAP bring the unburnt gases and gas vapor in to the throttle body. I still think that it is better to use the TB spray than the raw gasoline because it is easier to handle.

Personally, I have used the throttle body cleaner while the engine was running. This engine has MAP sensor rather than MAF, so it is possible to keep the engine running normally with the throttle body open to the air. I treated it as is I was cleaning the carburetor and did not worry about the idle air control valve. I even sprayed inside the IACV. Spray and Rev just like old times :) As far as I am concerned, all of the extra cleaner will just burn off. This is on 99 Camry and it needs this cleaning about once a year otherwise the idle starts dropping to 400 rpm randomly.

- Vikas

One point that people probably already know is that it is best to remove the throttle body for cleaning. It's easier to clean and inspect. But some throttle bodies have a lot of "baggage" on them and it's often easier to clean them in place.

Some report that they just wipe the deposits with a rag. I don't see how they can do that. Some deposits are tenacious and need a lot of scrubbing. I hope they realize the most important surfaces are where the throttle and bore almost touch each other. That area needs to be absolutely clean.

I never do it with engine running.

Maybe I'll give that gasoline technique a try while relaxing, working on my baby....
Rich_Man_Lighting_His_Cigar_with_a_Dollar_Bill_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_081228-023668-171042.jpg

explosion.jpg

Chrysler is speed density, no mAF.

Take it off, 2 min job. remove the IAC. Use Amsoil power foam or TB cleaner and a rag. Spry it down good, clean the pintel on the IAC and the passageway for the IAC into the TB Bore, clean the surface where the blade closes. Put the IAC back on and reinstall. you can do this in 15 min max including removing the intake cleaner hose.

Do this yearly and you will never have a idle problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back