What coolant for Mitsubishi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they were originally filled with Japanese formula. Has the coolant been changed before? I'd recommnded completely flushing and the following coolant in best to worst order: OE, Zerex AVF, American Green or G-05 (toss up), Peak Global, Havoline Dexcool, last all makes dexclone. Personally I'd stop by G-05 take my chances with there.

I use Motorcraft Premium Green in mine with distilled water (50/50 ratio). If you want the factory fill, the part number is MZ313950 (Mitsubishi Pre-Mixed Long Life Coolant).

The coolant might be green but I'm not so sure it is the American green silicate and borate formula, although that should work fine.

Gonna do a flush tomorrow, still undecided on what brand/coolant to use thought =/

Edit: I don't know if the coolant has been changed before. I bough it with 144k and at the time of purchase the previous owner put in a new radiator. Since then i've put 50k miles in the past year and a new upper hose. So a flush is definitely in the agenda for tomorrow

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I use Motorcraft Premium Green in mine with distilled water (50/50 ratio). If you want the factory fill, the part number is MZ313950 (Mitsubishi Pre-Mixed Long Life Coolant).

Thanks! I'll be stopping by the dealer to pick up a quart of SP-III

Originally Posted By: YZF_Eric
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

Thanks! I'll be stopping by the dealer to pick up a quart of SP-III

FYI, ATF+3 , ATF+4 is works for the SPIII and may be less expensive and also available from parts stores. The Mitsu coolant I have states Long Life coolant, and it is green, 5yr 50k. I prefer silicate free in my Mitsu, and the what is nice about the Nissan or Honda stuff is that it comes pre-mixed so there are no doubts about ratio or tap water/distilled/demineralized, etc

the 02 eclipse v6 manual stated regular green ethlyne glycol.
So I put regular mean green Zerex and distilled water.
The car still ran, didn't overheat and.. all was good.

the sp-ii and sp-iii, etc.. are very compatible with +3, +4, etc..
I flat out asked the mitsu parts guy what the difference was and he said he didn'tknow, of course. He said the shop uses +3, they sell the SP-III for over counter customers.

I've used +3 in the eclipse.. shifted just fine.

Originally Posted By: EricF
the 02 eclipse v6 manual stated regular green ethlyne glycol.
So I put regular mean green Zerex and distilled water.
The car still ran, didn't overheat and.. all was good.

the sp-ii and sp-iii, etc.. are very compatible with +3, +4, etc..
I flat out asked the mitsu parts guy what the difference was and he said he didn'tknow, of course. He said the shop uses +3, they sell the SP-III for over counter customers.

I've used +3 in the eclipse.. shifted just fine.

The last time i used +3 in my other Mitsu, the valve body solenoid (or shift solenoid, i forgot) went out in 10k miles. I don't know if its related to the fluid but the car only had 60k at the time.

Last edited:
I couldn't say for sure if it would've been the fluid or not.
the eclipse was changed at 33k (because it has no pickup filter).
so I put valvoline +3 in and the car was fine at 55k and shifted fine when we finally got rid of the money pit at 87k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back