FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MrMeeks
I have put together a stash of GC and I don' t have any use for it now.

You should sell it
banana2.gif

I have 7 unopened litres of M04 Green left. I need to do an oil change today so 6 will be used....if I do it! I'm torn: What use are they sitting on a shelf? On the other hand, I doubt I'll ever find any more.

Is there a market for selling these rather than using them?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Post in the classifieds section here on BITOG. People have been known to buy/sell their green GC stock.

Thanks. I just did a search and looks like it doesn't sell for more than I paid for it here in Canada (seems less in fact). So I think I'm going to use it myself and enjoy the driving until the next oil change :)

Wondering.......

Will GC, soon carry the SN rating? If it does, will the formula have to change?

I hit their website and noticed, with a little surprise, that GC isn't SM......but API SL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigJohn
Wondering.......

Will GC, soon carry the SN rating? If it does, will the formula have to change?

I hit their website and noticed, with a little surprise, that GC isn't SM......but API SL.

Has too many additives (probably ZDDP) to be SM or SN.

I doubt that they'd go for SN rating, since they haven't gone for SM. What would be the point? It's targeted mainly at people who drive European cars that require oils approved under various European specifications. There are already more than enough Castrol grades in GTX, Syntec, and Edge that are SM approved and will likely soon be SN approved.

I would assume that to meet SN and GF-5, there would have to be formula changes. If I recall correctly, the ZDDP content of GC wouldn't meet GF-5 requirements.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Has too many additives (probably ZDDP) to be SM or SN.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I doubt that they'd go for SN rating, since they haven't gone for SM. What would be the point? It's targeted mainly at people who drive European cars that require oils approved under various European specifications. There are already more than enough Castrol grades in GTX, Syntec, and Edge that are SM approved and will likely soon be SN approved.

I would assume that to meet SN and GF-5, there would have to be formula changes. If I recall correctly, the ZDDP content of GC wouldn't meet GF-5 requirements.

Thanks for the info.....that makes complete sense.

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
Originally Posted By: pbm
I just picked up 5 qts. of GC Gold that was on clearance for $3 a quart. I really didn't need it but I couldn't pass up a bargain. I'll probably run it in my Buick 3.1 as it is too thick for my Honda and Corolla.

I've always found it hard to understand how 0w30 GC is thicker at startup in my NY winter than most 5w30's.

Too thick for Corolla?
I have used GC 0W-30 mostly during Wisconsin winter for 10K miles on my 94 Prizm/Corolla. Is yours a newer Corolla?

I run GC in my 06 Corolla, Heck I ran it in a Honda Fit that I owned. The Corolla does seem a little sluggish after I change it but I gladly give up a little responsiveness for high RPM protection.

Ok so the oil went from Green to Brown, but is still from Germany? So did the formula change or what??

So this stuff is for the real. This GC German made shizzle is worth a go huh?

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Ok so the oil went from Green to Brown,

to Gold.

Quote:
but is still from Germany?

Yes.

Quote:
So did the formula change or what??

Most likely.

So basically the GC is not as good as it used to be. Bottom line. I will skip this one on the shelf. Seems all these oils now a days are going through a transformation.

So basically the GC is not as good as it used to be.

I did not say that.

As a matter of fact, all the UOAs prove that it is still an excellent oil, if your engine requires such oil. It is not a magic oil. It works in applications that require it. It does not work so well in others.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So basically the GC is not as good as it used to be.

I did not say that.

As a matter of fact, all the UOAs prove that it is still an excellent oil, if your engine requires such oil. It is not a magic oil. It works in applications that require it. It does not work so well in others.

Important point. In the applications that this oil was designed for, GC has consistently produced excellent UOA's. It will in fact not make your Honda drive like a BMW.

But this is in reference to ANY car requiring a 5/30 or a 10/30 oil correct? If my car states to use a 10/30 I should be able to use this product. Correct? So, its all trial and error.

So basically, try it and see. It may be great, it may not. How about this vs. the Castrol Edge 0-30 and Castrol Edge 0-40 Sport?

But this is in reference to ANY car requiring a 5/30 or a 10/30 oil correct? If my car states to use a 10/30 I should be able to use this product. Correct? So, its all trial and error.

What engine are we talking about here?

Some engines don't require such high HT/HS, and the only thing you will achieve with running GC is you'll degrade your fuel economy while not really gaining any additional wear protection. But if MPG is of no concern, you'll definitely not hurt anything by running GC.

Quote:
How about this vs. the Castrol Edge 0-30 and Castrol Edge 0-40 Sport?

Where are you finding these oils in the US?

The GC I was considering using in my 06 Lancer Evolution (turbo charged vehicle).

0-40 Castrol Edge I saw in Baja California last time I was there. So not "in the USA" but 20 min from my house. Its just a hassle crossing the lines, so it wouldn't be worth it to me to even buy it there. Unless it was like liquid Gold haha.

The GC I was considering using in my 06 Lancer Evolution (turbo charged vehicle).

0-40 Castrol Edge I saw in Baja California last time I was there. So not "in the USA" but 20 min from my house. Its just a hassle crossing the lines, so it wouldn't be worth it to me to even buy it there. Unless it was like liquid Gold haha.

I used GC in a 06 EVO and it worked great. GC is the best for the money when you get it on sale. Remember to select your oil WT based on your oil temp. For the street the GC is fine, oil temp rarely sees 100 Deg/C. Rule of thumb, use the thinnest oil you can get away with. Remember GC is almost a 40WT.

If the GC is almost a 40W it should be able to handle 100C all day long.

It is exspensive, $8.00 p/qt here where I am, and I can get Redline 5/30 for $9.00 p/qt.

Makes for a hard sell.

If the GC is almost a 40W it should be able to handle 100C all day long.

It is exspensive, $8.00 p/qt here where I am, and I can get Redline 5/30 for $9.00 p/qt.

Makes for a hard sell.

That's why the previous poster mentioned "when it's on sale." When on sale, which is typically every other month at AutoZone, GC is about $5/qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back