Subaru 4EAT Trans Filter OEM v NAPA Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found out on another thread that the OEM Subaru transmission filter looks different than the engine oil filter. When doing a drain and fill on my Dad's 2002 automatic WRX I bought the filter from NAPA. NAPA specs the same spin-on NAPA Gold (1365) filter for the transmission and engine oil. The transmission has been working great the past few thousand miles since the d&f/filter change. Should I be concerned/switch out the filter for an OEM one? Could I switch out the filter without draining much fluid? If I remember correctly the filter looked to be high enough that it shouldn't drain much fluid. I plan on changing it again in 30,000 miles, so this won't be a particularly long change interval.

Don't be concerned and nothing wrong with the Napa filter.

Add a Filtermag to the Napa filter and have even better than OEM filtration!

Actually, looks liken the Napa filter would do a better job with filtering!!! So, I would do everything to avoid the OE filter after reading the above two links.

Go back to OEM there is a lot of people that reported issues with their transmission when changing to NAPA from OEM, NAPA filter spec are not up to Subaru OEM specs. I would not risk 4k transmission to save $2.

Yeah I will change the filter to an OEM Subaru one after reading through the posted links and doing some google searches. Thanks for the input. NAPA should probably stop spec-ing this filter for the transmission. I am an automotive aftermarket major at university and it is situations like this that give the aftermarket industry a bad name....very frustrating.
cry.gif
I wonder if I should try returning the filter and inform them of the issue? I suppose the fight is not really worth the 7 bucks.

While the OEM filter is more of a bypass-type filter, I would think ATF would be thin enough to adequately flow through an oil filter. Not to mention the fact that the line pressures would most likely open the oil filter's bypass IF you had enough debris floating in your oil to plug the filter.

Many have used a regular oil filter in place of the trans filter without any problems. I'm sort of torn...if I was under warranty, then I would definitely stick with the OE trans filter. Out of warranty, I would probably go with a cheaper oil filter that is changed more frequently.

Thanks for your input. That is a good point about the ATF being thinner. I am only home for a busy weekend, then I have to go back to school, so I will not be able to change out the filter immediately. I can feel a little more comfortable waiting a while to change out the filter. I wonder how many of the reported problems were just bound to happen no matter OEM trans filter or oil filter.

I think that the Napa filter is superior to the OE filter.

I wouldn't bother with a full flow filter used as a barely filtering bypass filter.

If there is enough debris EVER to cause problem with the filter, your vehicle is already behind a tow.

Quit overreacting to misinformation no the web. Wix wouldn't spec it if it could cause harm leading to a claim.

When you buy a remote full flow filter, like the Permacool one, you use a standard oil filter. And for the DIY crowd, you can use any filter mount to use just about any oil filter.

If you go back to the useless OE filter, Magnefine it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back