Interesting read on MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing a bit of reading on MMO, and came across this page. I found this paragraph particularly interesting, so I thought I'd share. Nothing new or ground breaking, but the whole page is a very interesting read.
cool.gif

Quote:
When it enters the combustion chamber and the gasoline ignites, it is vaporized and soaks into the carbon buildup on cumbustion chamber walls, valve guides, around the valve stem, and on the spark plug. It soaks into the carbon and eventually loosens it up and it goes out the exhaust system.

I suppose that summarises why the exhaust system cleaned up so well in my application.
thumbsup2.gif

I am not sure the MMO in the gas does not burn.
It has it's effect on the combustion chamber and valves when it is un ignited.
The author seems to think it does not burn, while the fuel does.

the flash point of MMO is so low it is impossible for it not to burn in the chamber.

I'm sure that this will soon become one of those online/internet urban legend, to be tagged along with bonzai kitten, etc.

Q.

My impression is that the author believes it does what it does once its ignited with the fuel-air mixture. My own belief, on the hand, is that it achieves what it does pre-ignition, during the intake and compression stroke. I agree that it works mainly by dissolving upper cylinder carbon buildup, and this is consistent with it being a mild solvent in a very thin oil that gives it some lubricant abilities as well.

I don't think it does anything after ignition. If it has any effect on the exhaust valve, then that would be during the compression stroke when the valve is closed but, due to carbon buildup, may not be seating properly.

Just my own thoughts on it and how it works.

-Spyder

Carbon soaks gas up like a sponge which burns off slowly as the heat boils the liquid fuel out to where it can find some oxygen. MMO soaks in the same way and weakens the carbon structure allowing other additives to wear it away more easily.

I've finished a quart of MMO over several tanks. But my piston crowns were still crusty black. A seafoam piston soak done over 3 days managed to loosen the carbon down to the metal.

MMO is a good cleaner but still burns up with the gasoline before it has any chance to soak up anything in the combustion chamber.

In the combustion chamber, I think of MMO more as keeping things clean than cleaning them when they're dirty. It's not a terribly strong cleaner, and it doesn't stick around long when burned with the gas.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
In the combustion chamber, I think of MMO more as keeping things clean than cleaning them when they're dirty. It's not a terribly strong cleaner, and it doesn't stick around long when burned with the gas.

I agree. For it to really clean the upper cylinder it would best be used as an overnight piston soak. But as a UCL additive, its best used following a PEA cleaning as a regular UCL in the recommended dosing to maintain UCL cleanliness and keep carbon deposits from forming.

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back