Gumout?Regain additive burnt my valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

I'm now going into my second week on having a valve job done on my truck a week after adding a bottle of Gumout/Regain engine cleaner. All I did was add this rpoduct and one week later my engine took a dump. The mechanic says the intake valve is stuck big time.

Could this additive have caused the mishap??? Kinda coincindental to me if I was asked???

Durango

Last edited:
What was the reason u added it for? How many miles on the vehicle and how was it running prior?

Bster13,

I usually add a bottle of some sort of intake cleaner after every 3K service. This time I tried Gumout/Regaine instead of my usual Techron as a preventative maintenance and one week later my engine took a bad dump. Now I have to have a valve job done on my motor and should gt it back in a couple weeks.
I only have 85K on the odometer.

Durango

I generally don't advocate additives, and wouldn't consider them unless my engine needed severe cleaning or something of the sort. If your Durango is in good condition, why the additives so often?

that doesnt sound right that a fuel additive killed ur valve. Dont know what caused it unless a plug exploded , that will do it.

Originally Posted By: Durango
Hello to all,

I'm now going into my second week on having a valve job done on my truck a week after adding a bottle of Gumout/Regain engine cleaner. All I did was add this rpoduct and one week later my engine took a dump. The mechanic says the intake valve is stuck big time.

Could this additive have caused the mishap??? Kinda coincindental to me if I was asked???

Durango

sounds like coincidence, since the Regane has the PEA just like the Techron.

What gas do you use?

It wasn't the Gumout/Regane.

Your valve(s) took a dump for some other reason. Have the mechanic determine that reason, if he's able.

Unless you're using junk gasoline, there's no need to use Techron or Regane every 3k miles. I would recommend no less than 6k miles between usage.

Gentlemen,

I admit I use Costco gasoline now and then but my primary gasoline is Chrvron. I use an additive to increase cleaning agents/chemicals in the gas to counter the possible effects of using Costco gas.

My engine was in top eondition as I just had a service one week before all this happened (lube oil n' filter). It was maintained at the dealership on time as scheduled.

OH well if you all belive it was just a coincidence then the odds of this happening had to be in the thousands. For now just drop the subject as the mechanic is now performing a valve job on both sides to repair the bad valve. You must admit it was a good question to ask.

Durango

I think that the examination of the engine will reveal what really happened. It is very difficult to envision any scenario where adding a bottle of Regane, given your reported meticulous maintenance on the engine, would have such a profoundly deleterious effect.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
It wasn't the Gumout/Regane.

Your valve(s) took a dump for some other reason. Have the mechanic determine that reason, if he's able.

Unless you're using junk gasoline, there's no need to use Techron or Regane every 3k miles. I would recommend no less than 6k miles between usage.

I agree with this.

A couple of years ago one of the local news stations went around to different gas companies in Miami-Dade to ask about what detergents were in their gas to keep the fuel injectors clean...Costco was the only company that refused to give a answer.

Using Costco gasoline "now and then" would not call for 3k mile treatments of Techron or Regane.

With Chevron as your "primary" gasoline, you're getting Techron with every fill-up.

Costco at WKRP normally contracts with BP, according to the guy at the Costco station who supervises the delivery. He admitted that varies according to whomever bid the lowest for that delivery, but it's been BP for the most part. As such, one would not believe that Costco gasoline was deficient, additive-wise.

Your mechanic said you needed a valve job. Ask him "WHY" the valve went bad.

Maybe he'll say it was from the waxy buildup from the Pennzoil YB!

I probably should refrain from commenting but I won't.

Two different mechanics told OP that he had lost all compression in one of the cylinder. During that time frame i.e. between visiting the two shops, his car ran "beautifully" and the engine was "silky smooth" (his exact words!).

During the 50 miles drive from the first shop to his house, that burnt valve was miraculously healed.

To the best of my knowledge, OP has not personally seen the burnt valve.

A vehicle with burnt valve will NOT EVER RUN SILKY SMOOTH!!!!

There are only two possibilities

1) He is being taken for a ride.
2) His "silky smooth" assertion was incorrect.

- Vikas

Vikas,

There ou go again! That not what I was asking for. If my additive didn't burn the valve then like the others have said it may have been something else.

You are so sue I'm being taken for a ride. That's why you got what you got earlier. Let's try and tackle the question.

Durango

Hrmm....I def. don't know the back story between you guys. Not sure how you guys on each side of the country know each other, or status of each other's vehicles, but I think this one is too hot to handle. haha. GL in finding the source of your trouble.

Have you heard about transmissions dieing after doing a fluid replacement procedure? This is common occurrence.

Reason? Because only when the transmission starts acting up, people take it to get it serviced. Unfortunately, it is too late at that time. The fluid change then gets blamed for the death of the transmission which happens later.

Same thing holds true when people try to blame a supposed remedy for the the ongoing problem.

In my humble opinion, the claim of Regane (instead of usual Techron) "burnt the valve" is illogical and does not pass the smell test.

If you want the answer; it is "NO, REGANE DID NOT CAUSE THE PROBLEM". Chemically, both Techron and Regane are very similar.

- Vikas

Last edited:
Well, one possible way I see of burning a valve is if a chunk of carbon got stuck there and held the valve open. There's a small chance that Regane loosened that chunk from somewhere.

That being said, it's far from likely. A lot of other things would have to be going on:

- you'd have to have a pretty dirty intake system to have chunks like this floating around.

- Techron isn't as favoured as PEA, but is still no slouch. If you were actually using it regularly as you state, there shouldn't have been any egregious chunks of carbon hanging around

- Mobile chunks of that nature would probably speak to pretty bad vehicle condition.

- I think the likelihood of a piece of carbon moved by a fuel cleaner being large enough and staying put considering the speed and action of the valves is pretty low. The valve action should shake it loose and the continued exposure to the cleaner should help that along.

- If this were the case, Regane's fault is actually working where apparently Techron did not.

If this is how it happened, a mechanic should still find the chunk of carbon which killed it hanging around unless it was driven for a significant period after the damage was done and it worked itself free during that period.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
- Techron isn't as favoured as PEA, but is still no slouch.

The performance of Regane and Techron Concentrate with the full PEA concentration is the same. It's the aggressive pricing and wide distribution that keeps our favor. If another company would run as many sales as Gumout does we'd switch in a heartbeat.

MMO enjoys the same favor for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back