Getting cigar/cigarette smell out of leather coat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won an auction on Ebay for a nice leather motorcycle jacket the other day. When it arrived today I could almost smell the cigar/cigarette smell coming right through the box...after handling the jacket it was so bad it even made my hands smell.

I've written the seller and asked for a refund as it is unwearable without me feeling sick to my gut...it is that bad......was advertised as brand new and while that is debatable(looks like it has had some use) the overriding factor here is the smell

Any tricks or hints that people have tried and have had success? I'm probably not going to try anything until I hear back from him but just wanted some ideas

Thanks

Goose

Fabreeze the inside lining and Fresh air will help. Hang it out daily, if possible, and keep spraying the frabreeze into the lining. Wish you luck.....it will take time.

My dry cleaner advertises that they clean leather jackets and purses. I have no experience with this service, but I'm sure many of them offer it.

I quit smoking 6 months ago after 38 years of puffing a pack and a half a day. I can't believe how sensitive I've become to the smell of smoke. I can smell it on some of my coats that haven't been dry cleaned. I also had to clean and air the cars a couple of times to minimize the smell (I smoked steady in there). I now understand why people complained about the smell when I was still smoking (although never in the house...had to go outside or in the garage).

Leather is one of if not the most difficult products to remove smells, especially smoke from cigarettes. I have known someone who sold their car they recently purchased just from the failure to get the residule odors out of the leather interior. THis was a car that was only 2 years old. Leather is a product that like living skin actually absorbs the smells deep down into the interior of the hide, not just on the surface. One idea I have heard is tos stuff the coat and sleeves with newspaper,( hide in contact with the newsprint) and keep in enclosed for a short time. The paper actually absorbs the odor. Another idea is the keep it out side in direct sunlight, UV rays can destroy some smells.
Cigarette smoke is really a distasteful odor, and I'm sure that people who do smoke don't fully realize just how awful they smell(sorry smokers). I have a average sense of smell and I can just walk by a smoker and instantly know their addictive habit.

Yeah it is a shame because it is a really nice leather that I have wanted for a while (Harley Jacket) and I got it for a great price- 150 less than what they want at a Harley Dealership. I am going to return it because as nice as it is I can't wear it as the smell is pretty bad. Other than that the jacket is perfect.

I have some Amazon reward points so I'll probably use them and just shell out another 70 bucks to get one brand new. I suppose I could take that 70 dollars and attempt to have it cleaned but I've also hear that no guarantees with leather that they will be able to get the smell out

Goose

Air it out. it may take a couple weeks. I'd wipe the outside down with alcohol to cut some of the buildup, then air it out. Just remember to hit it with some moisturizer before you use it. Febreeze the lining, too, like others have said.

Rather than take all the advise tossed around hwere or elsewhere on the internet why not contact a professional cleaners in your area and find out what they say, after all they are the ones that are putting their companies name on the line and more than likely know what they are talking about.

All the advise given here may be good, but then again we haven't heard from anyone in the cleaning business so who actually knows.

Coffee straight out of the can, not used, is very good at absorbing odors. I would put the jacket with fresh ground coffee in a closed container, for a few days. I haved removed odors from some dresser drawers this way.

Febreeze + smoke = Smoke Smelling Febreeze

Send the jacket back.

Febreeze is the AutoRx of the deodorizer world, IMO.

OZONE!

simply rent an ozone generator from the u-rent-it place and put it in the smallest room or closet you can.

Absolutely perfect results, no smell, no residue.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Febreeze + smoke = Smoke Smelling Febreeze

Send the jacket back.

Febreeze is the AutoRx of the deodorizer world, IMO.

So what you're saying is, it works if you work it?

Like Steve said, Ozone generators work.
We had to clean up a bunch of flood cars over the years. It got the smell out of the interiors.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
OZONE!

simply rent an ozone generator from the u-rent-it place and put it in the smallest room or closet you can.

Does that Ozium spray I see at the auto stores have Ozone in it, if you know?

I wonder if that stuff would work.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
OZONE!

Was going to say the same thing! A friend of mine got the smell of cat urine out of his SUV with this. Just be careful with it.

Smoke'n a couple joints should mask the smell for a while.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Contact the seller and send it back.

That's what I ended up doing. He was very accommodating and understood. Good guy to deal with and on Ebay you are rolling the dice a lot of times. Gave me a total refund including my shipping

Goose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back