Catalytic Converter Break in Cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a certain period of time or a hot-cold cycle that I should do before taking my car in with new cats for an emissions test? I'm only on temporary permits for my SHO and I was wondering if I should buy one day insurance or two, and take it through on the 2nd day if the readings will be lower.

And fully warmed up is not idling in their lot for 20 minutes...
My tracker failed its first test this year as I drove it around town for about 20 minutes and took it in.
For the retest I did a bunch of 80 to 120 km/h full throttle pulls in 4th gear on the highway and rolled in the test place just on time, and the car passed easily.

The car may be relearning new strategies because of changes made.
The cat[]s don't need a break in , but the whole package should be given a chance to stabilize first.
Have her good and hot when you bring it in. If there is a line, rev it to 2k for a minute or two right before you pull up to have yours done.

HOT!!! is your friend
11.gif

Alright, to get the best of both worlds, and since i'll probably be changing it in the evening after work when it arrives, it'll get driven a bit the night I change it, then it'll cool down overnight, then on a 1/2 hr drive to college, then cools down, 45 min drive home, cool a bit, then i'll take it on the highway for about another 45 min before going to the test. Should be nice, hot and stabilized.

Last edited:
Alright, passed our Aircare Emissions test with flying colors. Everything went below average.

Lesson learned: Don't buy a car with 5 year old hi-flow cheap catalytic converters and expect them to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back