Anybody ever use Lucas 80w-90 Gear Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have it in the rear end of my pick-up right now and it seems to have made the truck a little sluggish. It has a drawing of a tractor-trailer on the bottle and it says "Heavy Duty". Is this oil too thick for a regular truck even though an 80w-90 should simply be an 80w-90?

Originally Posted By: dparm
Check the spec sheet. From what I've seen on their 75w90, their oils are *barely* in spec.

Maybe it's just the skeptic inside me, but I don't trust any of the Lucas products. I have no basis for this, and have even used a bunch of their products in the past with mixed results, but stay completely from anything but proper oils these days.

Regardless, I doubt the oil in the rear diff would make any perceivable difference as far as the vehicle's performance is concerned.

Drain it out. Put in a 75w90 and see if anything changes.
If it doesn't, then you might need to check the tire pressure, or give 'er a tuneup.

Well, the gear oil was my first thought. Maybe my tires are low? I have switched from Pennzoil synthetic back to conventional Pennzoil. Our fuel stations around here have switched to a "winter blend" of gas which is cleaner burning but inferior power and mileage wise to summer gas.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
Our fuel stations around here have switched to a "winter blend" of gas which is cleaner burning but inferior power and mileage wise to summer gas.

Tell me about it
smirk.gif
I don't know if they have around here for sure, but I'm down on MPG's consistent with winter mileage. Performance is the same, if not better with the lower air temps, though.

I been asking some question and have that feeling " need to change out, cause lucas is too thick " but I been lazy and just leave in their, and it been 2 month, look like it working perfect, imma just leave it in their for 30k miles anyway. My suggestion is just keep on driving it ^^. I should last you least 1 or 2.

Lucas Oil Products are a total waste of money. I usually run Pennzoil or Valvoline 80w-90 plus 1 bottle of GM limited-slip additive in my Auburn unit and everything works perfect. This time I got the crazy idea to try the Lucas 80w-90 with 1 bottle of GM additive and my truck is making a clunking noise when I back up. I put another bottle of GM additive in and it's still doing the same thing. If I get time this weekend the Lucas is getting drained out and I'm going back to Valvoline 80w-90.

Sound fine to me, if u want, you can use ford LSD stuff its only 7 dollar, and I think gm one is 12 dollar ? ford lsd stuff have more addictive in it. and it cheap.

Note i use lucas 80w90 hd gear oil with ford lsd addictive, after few thousand mile, no complaint yet, only thing i want to change cause of the brand new lucas, other then that gear oil work fine, just dont like the brand name lucas lol. BTW I would just keep on driving for 1k miles or so, mine does make some noise but after 1k miles driving , no noise and smooth as [censored]. Mabe gear oil need breaking in.

Last edited by a moderator:
When My Chrysler 8 3/8 had about 176k miles on it it started to drip so I pulled the cover. The diff had been quiet, it was just leaking. The ring and pinion looked okay. The Spider gears were not pitted.

Since I belived the market hype and it said so on the bottle I filled up the diff with Lucas Oil stabiliser.

I Know, I know. Now anyway.

Anyway 15 k miles later whir whir whir.

Pull the diff cover. Pitted spider gears. Sharp worn R&P. Grey metal Sludge 1/8 thick on bottom. Pulled axle shafts out. Pitted badly.

Got a Junkyard 9.25, had new bearings installed in it. Took the 8 3/8 to the recyclers. Got $11.44 cents for it.

500 miles on the new bearings, as ordered by the driveline shop, I pulled the cover on the JY 9.25 drained it overnight, and refilled with m1 75w 90. The thing is nearly silent.

I Used their power steering stop leak. That worked for a year or 3, but None of their products will enter my Engine/ Diff again.

Lucas is good at one thing, MARKETING! They make unsubstantiated claims about a product (any of them) that don't belong in any part of your car/truck , let alone lawn mower. Look at the testing Amsoil did using their synthetic PCMO. If I remember it failed several tests one being for volatility. The oil stabilizer has caused foaming issues for me in the past...... Why pollute any lubricant with this stuff. People only believe it to be of quality due to the affiliation with racing(sponsorships) which most of the cars repping LUCAS are most likely filled with Mobil 1, Redline, Amsoil, Motul, NEO........Do yourself a favor and Avoid it like the plague.

WOW! Now that's better. I dumped the [censored] 80w-90 Lucas and replaced it with conventional Valvoline 75w-90 and it's like night and day. I can now back up without a clunking sound, the truck doesn't downshift nearly as much, and it feels like I have 30 extra horsepower. My advice is to stay away from anything Lucas sells. My dad is semi-retired. He works part-time at our local NAPA store for something to do plus it gives hime some extra money and he tells me that they sell a ton of the Lucas Oil Stabilizer. People are either fools or suckers for advertising. We all know the stuff is nothing more than a heavy goo which thickens your oil. My thought are that if you want a heavy oil then you should just step up to the next grade or so for the same price, not spend extra money for a thickener. All snake oil sez I.

Actually, I was going to buy Valvoline 80w-90 but my NAPA was sold out. 75w-90 Valvoline dino was the only choice left because all the other oils were synthetics and Auburn says not to use synthetics with that limited slip unit. I think NAPA just started carrying 75w-90 in a conventional. That grade is usually synthetic around here.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
Actually, I was going to buy Valvoline 80w-90 but my NAPA was sold out. 75w-90 Valvoline dino was the only choice left because all the other oils were synthetics and Auburn says not to use synthetics with that limited slip unit. I think NAPA just started carrying 75w-90 in a conventional. That grade is usually synthetic around here.

yub
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back