Redline SI-1 Causing Sputtering and Stalling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background:

I have a 1999 Infiniti G20. For the past few months it has been idling rough and will stall out when i come to a stop. This is only when the engine is cold, typically on a cold day. These things cease when the car is warmed up.

Well I changed plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor. But i continue to have a misfire on cyl 1,, ostensibly causing the problems.

My mechanic thinks it is a busted injector, im not sure.

Anyway, i put some redline si-1 in yesterday and now the car is running much worse. It sputters like crazy at idle or when i let off the gas, and it has stalled a couple times at very low speed.

any idea what the redline has done?

My first thought was that it clogged the fuel filter, so i may try changing that.

Any help is more than appreciated.

Last edited:
possible vacuum leak? or exhaust leak at the manifold? i doubt its a fuel filter but it would be a good idea to change it. if it hasent been touched

yeah the fuel filter has not been touched, so i might change that.

why would the redline lead to a vacuum or seal leak, the sputtering and stalling happened right after i added the redline?

also, i noticed sputter white exhaust at the tailpipe, perhaps the engine simply cant deal with the redline?

I would say if the Redline actually noticeably made it run worse, you have yourself some sort of fuel delivery problem. That is not a co-incidence.

Perhaps there is something wrong with one or 2 of the injectors.
Have a wrecker near you? I have seen a few G20's in the wrecker near me.. Id pull some injectors and give it a whirl.

Perhaps the Redline busted up some heavy dirt and it's clogging the injectors? But, really, what probably happened is your problem got worse and it was just a coincidence that the Redline was added to the gas.

Inifiniti and e10 and injectors = pfffft. My Bro in CALI had been going through injectors on his Q - he got rid of it during the clunkers for cash last year. After tank rust, FP check, FP regulator, cam timing, ig coil - who knows what's wrong from behind this PC Terminal!?

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Perhaps the Redline busted up some heavy dirt and it's clogging the injectors? But, really, what probably happened is your problem got worse and it was just a coincidence that the Redline was added to the gas.

I'm voting coincidence. Like the guy that goes for an oil change and drives home and a fan belt breaks.

I think that your MAF is bad. I had same issues (except mine started after I put techron cleaner) in my car. Found out I had a bad MAF.

Also, you should edit your thread's title because you were already having issues BEFORE redline was added.

Agree with above, either the SI-1 busted some gunk loose in the tank which made if through the fuel filter or it's a coincidence.

I have seen really dirty fuel tanks clog 4-5 fuel filters within a few thousand miles on Techron fuel system cleaner, but this doesn't really sound like a clogged or restricted fuel filter.

do you think the gunk would have made it through the filter, or is it clogging the filter hence restricting the flow of fuel?

That`s why I`m highly against using fuel system additives. I`ve read where people have had fuel injector failure immediately after using Techron. May be unrelated,but even just one report would make me hesitant about using any additive.

Last edited:
I find it extremely unlikely that it would have caused the problem, but it may have made an existing problem worse. In which case, the problem existed before this, you just didn't know how bad it was until now. Either that or it's just a coincidence. Of course, it's impossible to tell with so few data points. MAF, fuel injectors, Idle air control valve (IACV issues can resolve when warm) all seem likely culprits.

is there a way to test all those things (maf, injectors, iacv) without replacing parts needlessly.

i know that the maf's in the g20's are usually a problem
i know you can clean the iacv, but i dont know how to test the injectors or the maf

Interesting, I've used the SI-1 many times with only improvements. All items mentioned could be the culprit. I would change the fuel filter and clean the IAC, MAF and throttle body first. Then, go from there if the problem persists.

Hopefully you don't have to, but I've been there before(replacing a couple of parts w/out knowing their bad).

im going to change the fuel filter tomorrow, im crossing my fingers that resolves the problem!

I'll put money that it's your MAF...coming from another Infiniti/Nissan owner who changed his this year. You can clean the MAF, it's simple. Go purchase MAF contact cleaner and take your MAF off. Spray the element inside but make sure you are around 8-12 in. away from the element. let it dry and put it back on.

couple questions, why would the addition of the redline suddenly make the problem so much worse, the maf doesnt come in contact with the fuel system

would the maf cause a cylinder 1 misfire?

and also, ive heard from numerous sources that attempting to clean the maf will usually kill it, is this not true?

Do a comp check on CYL 1, read the plug. Do it with a hot engine. Then add a squirt of oil to the cyl 1 and do it again. Open the TB when cranking. if Cy1 1 read low(dirty/worn/open inj1. Is cyl1 inj noisy at cold idle?

i dont have the ability to check all those things, but can run it by my mechanic.

what noise should the injector be making?

Originally Posted By: dissaver
is there a way to test all those things (maf, injectors, iacv) without replacing parts needlessly.

i know that the maf's in the g20's are usually a problem
i know you can clean the iacv, but i dont know how to test the injectors or the maf

For a quick check of the MAF, unplug the electrical connector to the MAF sensor while the car is running. If the idle becomes noticably smoother with the MAF unplugged, then chances are your issue is the MAF. If so, you can try cleaning it by spraying the heated wires/plate of the sensor with electrical contact cleaner a couple of times and then reinstalling.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back