New 2010 Ford Ranger - OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new 2010 Ford Ranger, 4 cylinder, 2.3L auto with 983 miles on it. The oil is the factory MC 5w20 oil but thinking about going early with my first free oil change at the dealership around 1200 miles.

Most of my driving is about 85% stop and go city driving with 10% highway rarely exceeding 55mph and 5% interstate rarely exceeding 70mph. I have always been light on the go pedal and currently getting 22.2 MPG city.

I’ve always changed my oil at 3000 OCI or just under/over. I usually average around 7000 miles a year on any vehicle I’ve owned.

Further info:
2001 Ford Ranger, purchased new, 3000 mile OCI, traded in after 6 years with just over 35000 miles on it.
2007 Ford F-150, purchased new, 3000 mile OCI, traded in after 3 years with just over 22400 miles on it.

Question 1: Is this considered severe driving?

Question 2: Should I stick with the 3000 mile OCI?

I requested the free oil sampling kit from Bkackstone as I’ve never done this before so the results will be interesting. I also notice that the TBN test is $10.00 extra making the test $35.00. Do they not provide your TBN numbers on your report? Most test results I’ve seen here have the TBN numbers.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Things have already changed, and are getting better oil wise.

Want to change your oil early? 1K won't hurt you, but is not necessary. At least don't be in a rush.
And conditions would have to be pretty severe to change your oil at 3K anymore. So stretch it to 4K with dino.
Stop and go is not the worst problem. Getting up to temperature and staying there is the key.
Are you running the car for only 5-10 minutes or so? That is severe duty, for sure.

Thanks for the info!
I make short trips which run around 20 to 30 minutes each.
I'm driving up to the Blue Ridge Mountains tomorrow so that will be 1.5 hours up and 1.5 back down.

Since you do not keep your vehicles long you are throwing away your $$$ changing the oil as you do and the uoa is really throwing away your $$$.

I don't know if I would call 20-30 minutes a short trip.

I have a 2 mile commute to work. That is a short trip
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: TenSilver

What does the owner's manual say on the subject?

Hey Tensilver, the other ten silver here. I changed out my factory fill at about 2500mi. I changed it to Penzoil Platinum 5W20 along with a MC910 filter. Will try to go 5000 OCI and see what it looks like.

This was just prior to me starting the long boat towing trips(made 4 so far). I also changed out the rear end oil to Mobil 75W90 Syn. and the manual trans oil to Mobil ATF Syn. 70 and 75 mph with A/C and the boat for a couple hundred miles, seemed like a good change to make. Have almost a thousand miles of boat hauling.

Last edited:
Here's my take on this subject. I bought a new Focus and I changed out the oil/filter (MotorCraft 910S) @ 1K mi. I can tell you the motor ran and idled much smoother. A noticeable difference. Since, I believe, the Factory Fill is Motorcraft Semi-Syn 5w-20, what can it hurt to change out the oil w/the same new oil? As far as the OCI, my manual states 6mo/7500 mi oil changes under "Normal" driving conditions. Since you drive 7K a yr., follow the manual and do 2 oil changes a yr. @ 6 month intervals. Your miles driven will well be under what the MC Semi-Syn. can handle. No problem. By all means change out the FF early in my opinion. Bill

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Since you do not keep your vehicles long you are throwing away your $$$ changing the oil as you do and the uoa is really throwing away your $$$.
My 2001 Ranger I kept it six years and only traded it because I needed a larger truck at the time for heavy hauling of trees I've cut down. Now I have traded again since I don't need the large truck because of injury from the tree hauling. Now I've traded back to a Ranger again which is my favorite small truck. I will keep this one much longer than six years. I don't foresee trading for a long time to come.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: TenSilver

What does the owner's manual say on the subject?
Pete, the owner’s manual says to use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w20 oil and change every 7500 miles under normal driving conditions. I don't drive enough miles to be normal and was more concerned with condensation forming in the engine.

Originally Posted By: SwampDweller
Hey Tensilver, the other ten silver here. I changed out my factory fill at about 2500mi. I changed it to Penzoil Platinum 5W20 along with a MC910 filter. Will try to go 5000 OCI and see what it looks like.

This was just prior to me starting the long boat towing trips(made 4 so far). I also changed out the rear end oil to Mobil 75W90 Syn. and the manual trans oil to Mobil ATF Syn. 70 and 75 mph with A/C and the boat for a couple hundred miles, seemed like a good change to make. Have almost a thousand miles of boat hauling.
Hey Lenny! Fancy meeting you here! It seems we think alike don't we? Isn't it getting close for you to fill up again? LOL! I just did today and update my page.

Thanks for your info! At first I thought I would stick with a 5000 mile OCI but started thinking otherwise since I don't drive normally. Interesting that you have changed your diff and trans oil already!

Originally Posted By: sparky123
Here's my take on this subject. I bought a new Focus and I changed out the oil/filter (MotorCraft 910S) @ 1K mi. I can tell you the motor ran and idled much smoother. A noticeable difference. Since, I believe, the Factory Fill is Motorcraft Semi-Syn 5w-20, what can it hurt to change out the oil w/the same new oil? As far as the OCI, my manual states 6mo/7500 mi oil changes under "Normal" driving conditions. Since you drive 7K a yr., follow the manual and do 2 oil changes a yr. @ 6 month intervals. Your miles driven will well be under what the MC Semi-Syn. can handle. No problem. By all means change out the FF early in my opinion. Bill
Thanks sparky123 for your comments! I do plan on getting the free first oil change but I do wonder if they will put in Motorcraft 5w20 oil after reading comments on here about dealers bulk oil. I'm going to ask what the oil is when I go in and see if they will show me the bulk container. I doubt it but worth a try. I will probably stick with the motorcraft 5w20 semi-syn for the time being.

Last edited:
When I bought my Focus, I was told I would receive a "free" oil change as well. Went in the service dept. to inquire about what oil they would use. I was told they would use MC Semi-Synthetic Blend. But for some reason I'm leary. I really like the MC oil and greatly prefer this oil was used. I will say however, the most recent oil change on the wife's 05' Focus I used PP 5w-20. Very, very good oil as well! Hope your Ranger runs well and is trouble-free for a very long time. The more I drive my Focus, the more I like it! The 5-sp. is a blast to drive!

Do 5000 mile oci's with an oil that meet your specs if you are worried about being severe service. Isn't that what the manual says? Don't waste money changing before 5000 or 6 months!

Dump that factory fill at a nice round number so maybe at least 2000. I would go 5000 but if it makes you sleep better...

20-30 minutes is a pretty fair long time.
Much much better than 5-10 minutes!
Note that oil does NOT have to be at the boiling point of water for it to be removed. It goes away a bit slower at much cooler temps.

If you're only driving approx 7k a year,
pick your favorite 5w20, and change it twice
a year, like April 15th & October 15th.
Stay with the Motorcraft filter.

jringo

In my 06 Ranger with the 2.3L/5spd I had roughly the same commute. I did 7.5k/1 year oil changes the last 2 years. Sold it at the 3 year mark with 32K... I know not very many miles but it was still as clean as when I bought it. Those engines are fairly easy on oil. A occasional highway run will burn off any containments. I wouldn't change the factory fill till at least 3k.. maybe longer. You want that engine to break in other wise you'll be getting [censored] mileage till about 30k.. the best mileage I got was when it hit 30k. I did the first oil changes at 500, 1.5k, 3k, and then 5k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back