Long-lasting grease for a wiper transmission arm

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 98 suburban had sqeaky wipers and I tracked it down to the brass bushings on the wiper transmission arms, where they attach to the motor. They bolt to these balls, and there was clearly grease on them from the factory.

I have Coastal All-Purpose Grease, and Cheetah White Lithium Grease. Would either of these be long-lasting lubricants for these joints? I don't want to have to take it apart again in 6 months to regrease, although it's not like it's a wheel bearing or anything. So I wasn't sure if the cheap stuff would suffice. I do have tons of the Coastal grease and I'm trying to use it up so I can justify getting something better next time.

Molykote 33 from Dow Chemical is made for this application.

If you don't care to buy a special lube for this project, any silicone grease would be better than the lithium-based grease.

hmm yeah I don't want to order anything, I need to get this back together somewhat quickly. So not the lithium grease then.... would silicone grease be better or worse than the coastal general purpose grease?

Oh thanks... haha I did not know what it was made out of. All I know is it's black and stinky as opposed to white like my lithium spray, so I have naively assumed they were different.

Alright I do not have just plain silicone grease... I have dielectric silicone grease, would that be okay to use? Finally have time to put this back together today. I also have caliper slide grease, which I thought was silicone based as well.

The grease you have is likely thicker than the original lube or Moykote 33. It should be okay though. The wiper transmission arm isn't that sensitive to viscosity.

Rachael don’t think you want to use spark plug boot silicone or caliper grease they will not hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back