Oil for a 1980 Cadillac 6.0L (368 cu.in) engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What should I be using in a low mileage 1980 Cadillac 6.0L (368 cu.in) engine?

Is the zddp a concern with the engine and if so how much does it need in the oil?

What synthetics and dino oil would you recommend?

Also have a car with a GM 350 Target Master engine and was wondering if that would be the same oil too?

Thanks!

i have always used 10w40 since the early 80's in both 1979 cadillacs with the 7.0 litre 425 cubic inch engine which i still own and they still run excellent one with 340,000 miles and one with 255,000 miles both were owned by my parents since new and survived my high school days..
The 368 is the same engine design as the 425 however now i would use 10w30 Valvoline Castrol Pennzoil or Quaker state those engines are great but note if they ever need to be rebuilt yiou MUST balance them we are an engine shop and we had problems because they are balanced internally...Use dino!
how many miles on the car...?

Valvoline Maxlife 10w-30 can be purchased at Walmart in the 5 quart jug for very cheap, less than $15

Its on sale at my walmart for $14, the normal price is only $16

pair it with an OEM quality filter or better, i recommend the Purolator Classic L25288 for the 6 liter 4 BBL v8 if the vin is 6

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Valvoline Maxlife 10w-30 can be purchased at Walmart in the 5 quart jug for very cheap, less than $15

Its on sale at my walmart for $14, the normal price is only $16

pair it with an OEM quality filter or better, i recommend the Purolator Classic L25288 for the 6 liter 4 BBL v8 if the vin is 6

yea id go Hi-Mi on that big engine. Id want a seal conditioner in it too. Not so much an HDEO! Of course, SuperTech 10W-30 would likely be fine. 10W-40 if desired, but 10W-30 can do too.

I almost had an 82 of the car you describe, a Brougham. I think it was the 5.7 V8 that year. Nice!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i have always used 10w40 since the early 80's in both 1979 cadillacs with the 7.0 litre 425 cubic inch engine which i still own and they still run excellent one with 340,000 miles and one with 255,000 miles both were owned by my parents since new and survived my high school days..
The 368 is the same engine design as the 425 however now i would use 10w30 Valvoline Castrol Pennzoil or Quaker state those engines are great but note if they ever need to be rebuilt yiou MUST balance them we are an engine shop and we had problems because they are balanced internally...Use dino!

60,000 Original Miles.

With the SM Oils, do they have enough ZDDP for the lifters and cam?

Originally Posted By: goneflyfishin
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

60,000 Original Miles.

With the SM Oils, do they have enough ZDDP for the lifters and cam?

Mobil 1 5w-40 has a fairly high amount of zinc in it but not sure if thats what you need.

Amsoil and Redline have high zinc but not sure if your spending that much... If you are go for it!

The Virgin oil analysis also indicate Shell Rotella T has a high Zinc count but it is unlabeled as to which exact Visc. the sample was taken from.

The Royal Purple will do the trick, but its expensive....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back