Looking for a filter cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested in finding a cutter to open up my oil filters. Do you guys have any recommendations on cheap ways to do this? I did some internet searching and didn't seem to find much under $50

I was hoping there was a cheap alternative to this that didn't cost so much and still got the job done.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: bigmike
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900510/

That's the cutter I use and it's a good one. I used to use a dremel and cutting wheel. Too much trouble and sparks for my liking.

So i guess thats as cheap as that type of cutter getS?

I've got the Summit cutter, but it doesn't work very well on filters with diameters less than about 3 inches. They should have put bigger diameter roller wheels on it.

Some guys have talked about using exhaust cutters or pipe cutters. Hopefully, they'll chime in when they read this.

The Summit one works great on the Mobil 1 M110 (P1 14610)size filters. (Height 3.52, O.D. 2.69)

That's the smallest filter I've cut with it.

I use Pureone 20195s or Motorcraft FL400s filters, can you guys recommend a specific cutter for either one of those filters?

I am going to need to cut open my old stock blue can Pureone 20195 in a couple of months.

I use Pureone 20195s or Motorcraft FL400s filters, can you guys recommend a specific cutter for either one of those filters?

I am going to need to cut open my old stock blue can Pureone 20195 in a couple of months.
It looks like the 20195 is right on the border line between the two cutters. The Summit Racing cutter above will likely work ok, but might not hit the guide wheels the whole way. I used it recently to cut open an L14459 which is just slightly wider, and it barely touches the wheels, it worked fine.

The HF exhaust pipe cutter works well for me on the 14610 size and is about half the price of the Summit Racing. It would fit your 20195, difficulty can come from trying to hold the slick filter when turning the cutter. Helps if you use a cap wrench or if have a vice.

My suggestion, if you have an HF store nearby, check out the exhaust cutter as it's only in HF stores. Otherwise get the Summitt, it will work.

And yes, I have both cutters, but the Summitt was a gift and the HF Exh cutter was only ~$12 on sale and a 20% coupon. HTH

Originally Posted By: bigmike
The Summit one works great on the Mobil 1 M110 (P1 14610)size filters. (Height 3.52, O.D. 2.69)

That's the smallest filter I've cut with it.

I wonder if they have changed the design some. I tried it on a 14610 and the filter did not hit the two roller wheels, but instead hit in between the rollers.

Here's an AAP Total Grip #7317, same filter size as the Puro 14610, OD 2.69". The filter can seam is against the black bar, note the space between filter and guide wheels. It will cut this filter, but it takes more effort and doesn't work as smoothly. I've found the HF cutter works great for this size filter, even easier with the texture filters.

OTOH, some folks here use Dremel tools or similar.
srcutter.jpg

If the Summit cutter had just a little larger rollers on it, then it would work great for filters down to 2.5" dia. It's the little details that matter sometimes.
wink.gif
Good photo showing the issue with the smaller filters.
thumbsup2.gif

I've cut FL400's with the Harbor Freight cutter with little problem. I did get a bolt to clamp in my vice to mount the filter to cut it. I think it was/is 3/4"16 but its hard to find a cheap one.

I do have a harbor freight right down the road, and also plenty of those 20% off coupons, looks like i will be giving that a try, that being said does the HF exhaust cutter work as well on the Purolator 20195s as the FL400s?

I do have a harbor freight right down the road, and also plenty of those 20% off coupons, looks like i will be giving that a try, that being said does the HF exhaust cutter work as well on the Purolator 20195s as the FL400s?

The HF exhaust pipe cutter should work on those two filters. It closes down to about 2.5" (maybe little less) and opens up to maybe 4". Has a pretty good range.

Agree, it should work. It went around the L14459 which is slightly wider. Again, just need something to keep a grip on the filter while turning the cutter. Or, vice versa.

I have a Summit filter cutter also and it works awesome on big filters. My Camry has baby filters and it will cut those to but you need to go much slower and not use alot of pressure on the cutting wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back