walmart supertech oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
WalMart is known to use at least two suppliers for their "SuperTech" brand motor oil: ExxonMobil back east and parts of the midwest, and Warren Performance Products in most other areas. There is evidence that in some cases SOPUS has supplied motor oil under the SuperTech name, too, based on the use of jugs that are physically identical to those used for certain Quaker State and Pennzoil product and an identical alpha-numeric product/date code format stamped in the jugs' bottoms. So far as anyone has been able to tell from UOAs, SuperTech motor oils are good performers, though I can't say they particularly stand out in any category. As for SuperTech oil filters, that question would be more properly addressed to BITOG's oil filter discussion forum. I can tell you that they're made for WalMart by Champion Labs and contain a synthetic blend media. I've used them consistently in the past and never had any problems with them.

quote:

Originally posted by jayno20:
would that oil/oil filter combo be good to use in a high milage engine? (130+)

Yep, and in a new engine and anywhere between..
cheers.gif

It's a good oil. The filters are excellent.

As long as you change the combo every 5k or 6mo, your engine is well protected.

bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I've used their oil and their filters with no problems on two different cars.
In fact, as a point of trivia, my Chevy Caprice's BEST run was on Supertech.

I converted from Amsoil ASL, to Mobil SUV, now to Supertech 5w-30 using either LC20 or AutoRX.

The only problem is that all the walfarts, opps, walmarts are always out of most oils 99% of the time.

Since the SuperTech oils have the API SM certification, your pretty much guaranteed a sufficient level of performance if your vehicle's owner's manual recommends a API certified oil.

quote:

Originally posted by stockrex:
fyi: price of supertech brand 5 qt jugs just went up another 80 cents or so :-(

I *so* was thinking to myself when I saw oil prices running up, "Tom, buy a few cases of that 97 cent Supertech 5W30."
Man, if my wife knew how smart I am, I'd be in business.

I'm just a layman, but GroupIII is highly refined mineral (dino) oil using newer, additional refining techniques (hydrocracking or Isosyn___) to change the molecular structure of the oil to give it synthetic-like properties (Castrol SYNTEC, Shell ROTELLA Synthetic, etc.). It's a cheaper process than the traditional means of producing synthetics, but superior to GroupII 'conventional' oils (which are already pretty good).

The more traditional GroupIV (Mobil1, AMSOIL 2000 series, "German Castrol" SYNTEC 0W-30, etc) are PAO base oils which tend to be very pure, and the GroupV is the "overflow" category in addition to POE or esters used in Redline racing oils, and as an additive (I think). I believe Pennzoil Platinum is considered a GroupV also.

Nick now hides under his coffee table with an asbestos suit and an extinguisher.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by flatlandtacoma:

quote:

Originally posted by Nickdfresh:
It's all made by Warren oil (Coastal) as far as I know. It's a GroupIII.

Warren oil (Coastal) does not make Supertech oil.

I could be wrong, but I thought Warren, as well as Mobil, made Supertech conventional oil in certain parts of the country (the Southeast?) while Mobil refined it for the rest of the country, or at least did at one time.

I've also read here that they make all of the synthetic Supertech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back