Pentosin High Performance 5w-30 MotorOil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Pentosin is the OEM oil to many European cars such as Volkswagen, Audi & BMW. Is this a fully syn or semi syn oil and is good for my Honda Fit Sport. Been using REDLINE Ow-30 and 10w-30 for the previous two oil change. Thinking of going back to REDLINE 5W-20. What do you guys advise..

Originally Posted By: airwave
Hi
Pentosin is the OEM oil to many European cars such as Volkswagen, Audi & BMW. Is this a fully syn or semi syn oil and is good for my Honda Fit Sport. Been using REDLINE Ow-30 and 10w-30 for the previous two oil change. Thinking of going back to REDLINE 5W-20.

Either Redline or the synthetic Pentosin are OK if you are changing oil by the maintenance minder. If you are doing extended OCIs that another matter. Do a UOA.

I would not use 10W-30...but xxw-20 or xxw-30 weights will work OK and not cause problems with the VTEC solenoid.

I really don't think there is a reason to change from Redline to Pentosin unless there is a savings you can benefit from, both oils are great. I would, as the previous poster mentioned a UOA would be a good tool to use to gauge how RL is working. If it is doing well why change? On the other hand I'm sure the Pentosin is a fine oil, (5w30) is what I try if I was making the switch

Red Line 5w20
01.gif

jringo

Technically speaking using 10w-30 will not cause problems with VTEC solenoid switch. Redline is selling at US$12 a quart and Pentosin 5w-30 at US$6.50 a litre in my country. My OCI is always not more than 12k not miles. So given the cheaper price and i decide to switch to Pentosin. Is this grp III or IV oil. I know Redline id a very good oil but I don't redline my engine oftenly but commuting to work daily averaging speed of between 80 to 90kmph. It's an overkill to use this oil for daily commuting. Looking at it Pentonsin is very much value for money. No one has tell me is this a fully syn oi.

Last edited:
Is the Fit recommended for 5w30 in your country? In the US it's recommended to use 5w20 or 0w20 and it works well in the UOA's I've seen here.

Both oils are serious overkill for that Fit. Save your money and go for the Pentosin if you must use such oils. Also, try 16000KM oil change intervals, you can UOA if you'd like. I certainly don't see 10K miles/16K KMs as a problem with the oil/engine combo you're using.

Unfortuntely, my local dealer did not bring in the 0W-30 and 5W-30 Super performance oils except 5w-30 High performance and 5w-40. The high performance are hydrocracked oil if I'm correct. In my country been hot and humid, many mechanics alwayas recommmend minimum weight 40 above but as much I prefer 30 weight below for fuel economy. Currently m/age clocked 85K not miles and for the past 4year using shaaffer 5w-20/30, amsoil 0w-20, 10w-30 & 0w-30 and lastly redline 0w-30 and 10w-30 respectively. All are good oils but since pentosin is so much cheaper I will definately switch to Pentosin. Tht's is my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back