Pre-Mixed 40:1 - 2 cycle Fuel....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just seen Pre-Mixed 40:1 - 2 cycle fuel for sale at Walmart. I believe it was between $6-7 bucks for a 32 oz. can. Can't believe anyone would pay that in this economy. Anyone here?

Thats pretty amazing-huh? I saw the same thing and thought the same thing. Thought gas was expensive at the pump, that would come out to about $28 bucks a gallon to run your weedeater. I am still a manly man, I mix my own brew.

Last edited:
I'm reviving this thread. I bought some today. $4.99 a qt....I'm in Ca and we can only get terrible alcohol loaded gas from the pump. The Alcohol is bad news for small engines.

The pre mixed fuel does not contain alcohol! A qt of it will last me a year or more.

Once it's open, how long is it good for?

I assume that sealed it'll last a long time, so I guess it might be something worth having around for someone who doesn't keep gas on hand, and might need to use a chainsaw or something in an emergency.

I keep a supply of gas (Shell 93 with a double dose of Stabil and change it out once a year for fresh gas) on hand to run my backup generator anyways so I could just steal a gallon from this supply and mix it with 2 stoke oil I keep on hand, but I can see where it would be nice emergency thing to have for someone who wants to keep enough gas on hand to get a tree out of the driveway or something.

Last edited:
They must sell well if Wally carries it. IMO, it's a great idea for clueless 2-cycle owners if they only go through a few quarts of premix a year. They'll be thrilled when their 2-stroke starts every time for them.

Joel

Personally, I'd never buy pre-mixed fuel. Particularly at that price.

As ridiculous as it may seem, I'm not one bit surprised that there a numerous consumers who will pay the price. Probably the same people who pay $2.00 for a litre of bottled water in a city where tap water is perfectly consumable.

I live in a city with a very new and modern water treatment plant that draws it's water from one of the most pristine sources in the world and the water is excellent. Yet I see tons of people buying bottled water! Why?

Can't remember who said it but this certainly applies:

"A sucker is born every day!"

W. C. Fields maybe?

Originally Posted By: boraticus

Can't remember who said it but this certainly applies:

"A sucker is born every day!"

W. C. Fields maybe?

P.T. Barnum is credited with a similar quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_a_sucker_born_every_minute

It's not hard to part all the consumerist-wannabe experts from their money either though.

I have a can of the 50:1 for emergency use. I like the fact that it has E-0 gas (here in Central Fl, E-0 is impossible to find).

I mix my own during summer season, with Sta-Bil marine and Amsoil Sabre Pro. Near the end of season, I run a tank of this stuff, as I don't like to keep any ethanol in the carb, even though I drain and run dry.

The manufacturer says an open can is good for about 2 years.

I rarely like spending that kind of money. But one can every year is not that bad to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Deltona_Dave
I have a can of the 50:1 for emergency use.....The manufacturer says an open can is good for about 2 years.

I bet an unopened can would be good for much more than that even. Maybe not a bad idea to keep a few cans around for emergency use.

Alot of emergencies could require two stroke mix like cutting a tree off your house with a chainsaw. What good a qt of pre-mix gas is going to do, I am not sure. You do realize in a pinch, you could just mix lawnmower oil in with the gas and get away with it-short term. Alot of old two stroke manuals used to even reccomend SAE 30 wt, if two stroke oil was not avaiable.

Originally Posted By: SWSportsman

What kind of emergency requires two-stroke pre-mix?

In '09 we had a big ice storm here in KY. Lots of trees down.

My parents for example live way back on a one lane road with trees on both sides. After the storm if they had not had mixed gas for the saw they likely would have been blocked in for a couple of days.

Luckily they think ahead about this type of stuff and had plenty of generator gas (21 days in the winter with no power), a shed full of firewood, tractor with a full take of diesel , a couple of 4x4 trucks, and 2 stroke oil.

My "emergency use" in my previous post, is just to have one on hand. It may be enough to finish a job, should I run out of my bulk mix. Beats having to stop what I am doing, just to make an out-of-the way trip to the gas station.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back